LR Dip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClamKnuckle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've heard different opinions on the subject. I'm getting some rock from LR.com here on thursday...should i do some sort of dip on it as a precaution or just deal with any issues as they arise?

Yes, it can be bad it all depends on the "odds". It will be much easier to do a carbonated SW dip than to try and remove "bad" crabs, mantis shrimp, etc. later after they've established themselves in your tank and eaten a fish or coral. Do a carbonated SW dip IMO.

I didnt dip either of my 2 shipments from LR.com, I guess I just got lucky both times :D

I do hear clicking in my 75 though but thats from the two pistols I saved from the bottom of the box. If there are any mantis they hav'nt shown them selves yet, my 75 holds my volitan lion...so I think he would be ok :twisted:

Rich

Mix carbonated water w/ your salt mix until SG matches that of your tank. Make about 2-4 gallons at a time and dip each rock for 30seconds - 1 min. When the carbonation starts to "fizzle out" of the dipping water make more as needed. Remove any potential pests you want to keep from the dipping container and put them in QT. The bubbling drives pests crazy and drives them from their hiding spots and the sg being at/near sea level lessens the stress on all the beneficial life you'll want to keep in/on the lr.

imo ya do alot more damage to the rock dipping in like that than ya do any good !! no way i would ever dip it cost to much just my thoughts

If the tank has not cycled, then I would dip. Water will be toxic anyway through the cycle. The crabs are cool at first but they will get big and then start doing damage. Mantis are a nuisance really. I never saw it but heard it. I dipped my rock after it had been in my tank 4+ months and I got one off. I thought that was it but alas, I have heard clicking lately. The one I found was no where near as big as the ones in the above thread.

My first mantis I ever had lived secretly in my tank for four years before I noticed him. As soon as I learned what he was I got all panicked and got him out.

Now, I have another one. This time, I'm less inclined to remove him because he is an entertaining little fellow and he hasn't done anything wrong. I'm not willing to hand him a death sentence for something he might do someday.

I'm convinced that my LR is healthier for NOT dipping it. Anything that causes mantis shrimp to abandon ship can't be good for the millions of other things that are alive on the rock. That's what you paid for...don't kill it.

If you really need to get the mantis later, you can.

Do mantis really do that much harm? I've read about how everyone ditches them but can't remember anyone telling about them doing anything. Will they tear apart corals?

Back
Top Bottom