Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-27-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 49
LR Plan of action needed asap for new tank--tough situation!

Here is the situation:
I currently have a 75g pristine reef tank with fish corals and plenty of rock that I am transferring to my brand new 175 bow tank.

The 175g will be ready to accept the transfer Monday night. 24 hours from now.

However:
In the mean time I had 120# of keys rock from liverocks.com overnighted which arrived Friday am. (about 48 hours ago) These pieces are very large and they will be used for base rocks.

These pieces are setting in trash cans full of saltwater. During the past two days it is apparent there is significant die-off on the rock as the water has gotten really foul. I done 100% water changes on my trash cans twice already!

The plan was to move the new rock into the 175 bow Friday when it arrived but I had a 3 day set back I won't go into.

The Question????
Should I take my new 120# of LR and put it in the 175g bow while leaving my existing tank in tact until the new rock has cured. (fyi this would be my preference)

or should I go ahead and transfer my 75g over with all its contents and put the new stuff in the 75g to cure. (not my preference as these new pieces will make up the "bottom" of my rock formations)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As pretty as my new rock is--It sure is stinking right now.

Jeff
Evansville, IN
__________________

__________________
jeffw85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 02:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Missouri City, TX USA
Posts: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw85
The Question????
Should I take my new 120# of LR and put it in the 175g bow while leaving my existing tank in tact until the new rock has cured. (fyi this would be my preference)

Seems like this would be the way to go. You could use the lr to cycle the new tank.
__________________

__________________
Sean

Don't forget to check AA Sponsors first.

www.macna2006.com
saberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 03:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,216
what i would do as well then ya can keep an eye/ear out for anything ya dont want and pull out the rock easy to get at it/them ect....
__________________
good luck keith
scuba_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 03:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 329
I would say yes. I upgraded from a 55 to a 90 + sump, which was about an additional 50-60 gallons of water. This cause my tank to go through a mini cycle. So I would setup the 175 and wait until it cycles. If you do water changes from teh 75 you can add the water to the 175 which should get you moving allong pretty fast. It took about 2 week for my tank to settle back down again.

HTH
__________________
CBRGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 03:30 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,256
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Should I take my new 120# of LR and put it in the 175g bow while leaving my existing tank in tact until the new rock has cured. (fyi this would be my preference)
YES!

Dont add the life from the existing tank till that new rock is showing no ammonia and no nitrite.
__________________
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 03:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
revhtree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rossville. Ga
Posts: 4,500
Quote:
Should I take my new 120# of LR and put it in the 175g bow while leaving my existing tank in tact until the new rock has cured. (fyi this would be my preference)
Quote:
YES!
Ditto!!
__________________
Remember to Keep Christ First!
revhtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 04:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 49
Decision made--Thanks to you all once again--120# of smelly live rock will cure in the new 175g bow and help cycle the tank- I'll keep the water changes going and once the rock has settled down I'll move the existing 75g tank contents over.

Thanks Again
__________________
jeffw85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 04:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,437
Re: LR Plan of action needed asap for new tank--tough situat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw85
These pieces are setting in trash cans full of saltwater.
Did these trash cans have water circulation, heat and filtration? The type of life on keys rock from liverocks.com is such that it immediately needs aquariumlike water conditions in order to maintain that life.

Just my .02, but I have gotten rock from them twice and it smells good right out of the box and I just slap it in the main display tank.
__________________
snapcrackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 04:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 49
It was fine when I recieved it--Plan was to drop straight into the tank but had an unforseen delay--Hence the trash cans--Temp was good --poor circulation and no filtration--I've just moved them to new water twice now. Unfortunately I just had no where to go with the rock that was adequate for filtration. They will be in the main tank tomorrow night however--more than adequate at that point.
__________________
jeffw85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 07:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,437
Cool, I hope it works out well for ya! Most people don't have extra skimmers and PH's laying around for emergency situations like that neither do I!
__________________

__________________
snapcrackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please help...advice needed ASAP! new2betas Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 8 01-02-2009 11:58 AM
My Latest Plan of Action! Satsumas Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 14 01-20-2007 06:46 AM
Cory looks sick...and new tank advice needed ASAP!!! GotanProject Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 11 08-22-2006 07:35 PM
ICK help needed asap maco5 Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 3 04-17-2004 09:40 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.