Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2004, 06:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
LR question and comments

I have a 125 that has about 90 lbs of LR in it. Do you guys (for those who vacumn the substrate) move your LR around? I find that I have to in order to vacaumn real good. However I have CC but I dont see that its any different for people with sand...Its a pain to keep having to move all of the rock around. Im afraid Im going to mush one of my crabs or starfish one of these days. I have my rock set up in the middle of my tank so its not against the back wall as in most cases...any suggestions?

Old 07-06-2004, 08:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
I ran my 42-gallon with about 50 lbs of LR in it for about a year and a half, and I did not have any problems with just vacuuming the sand that was not covered with rock. I think that a tiger tail sea cucumber is likely the best sand sifter for getting between the rocks on the sand. When I had one, I never noticed any visible detritus buildup around the base of the rocks.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

imo moving the rock is a bad idea !! move it the least ya can !! why people use sand ! food/waste dont settle into the sand like it does cc ! food/waste will get moved by water flow for the skimmer to get
Old 07-07-2004, 10:05 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
When I had CC i didint move the rock. I buried the rock down into the substrate to some degree so fish waste really didnt get under the rocks that much.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 10:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Well when stacking the LR, do most people put it against the back wall of the tank or in the middle of the tank. Maybe I will try stacking it differently so I can access under and around the rocks. I have a sand sifting star and he seems to do well in the CC. I go for days without seeing him. Plus I have 12-15 hermits and 2 huge turbo snails as well as a chocalate star....all of the substrate seems to be well cleaned. any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

better to keep the rock off the back wall !! this way you can get current to flow around and tru the rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com