Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2005, 10:16 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Can u put LR rubble in the bottom of a canister instead of bioballs?? I have bio-balls and high nitrates that I cant get rid of with no LR in the tank. Id love to put some in the bottom of the 2 canisters I have and hopefully alleviate my nitrate problem.

Old 02-28-2005, 10:12 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Can u put LR rubble in the bottom of a canister instead of bioballs??
yes

Old 03-01-2005, 01:04 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Morticus
Does the lr rubble have to be lighted to grow the algae/pods?

1.0 Albino Burmese Python
0.1 California Kingsnake
0.1 Ball Python
0.1 Amelystic Corn Snake
Morticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:06 AM   #14

What about just putting a few more pounds of rock in the sump AFTER the trickle?
Old 03-01-2005, 01:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Does the lr rubble have to be lighted to grow the algae/pods?
Nope, all you are doing is providing a place for benifical to grow. It does not require lights but you will not see any coraline growth.
Quote:
What about just putting a few more pounds of rock in the sump AFTER the trickle?
You could, but you can get more poounds of LR rubble in a sump then you can plain LR. The idea here is surface area. A sump full of rubble will have far more surface area to grow bacteria then a couple chunks of LR. Besides, LR rubble is a lot cheaper (sometimes free) then regualr LR is. Save the LR for the display tank.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:39 PM   #16

Is the use of LR Rubble something new, I've never heard of this before. I have Bio Balls in my wet/dry. My overflow is also filled with bio balls, should I get rid of those as well. I have 75 lbs of LR in my 92 Gal Tank and my Nitrate level is very high with to much algae growing on my rocks.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:39 PM   #17

Is the use of LR Rubble something new, I've never heard of this before. I have Bio Balls in my wet/dry. My overflow is also filled with bio balls, should I get rid of those as well. I have 75 lbs of LR in my 92 Gal Tank and my Nitrate level is very high with to much algae growing on my rocks.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:52 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to tinman
What about in a hang on the back filter? Would I need to take the filter media out or leave it in(no carbon in media).
Old 03-10-2005, 10:10 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Is the use of LR Rubble something new
I am not sure just how new this trend is. LR rubble is a better filter media then bioballs. They do a better job at removing nitrate from the water. If you are having trouble with nitrates, this could be part of the problem. Can you list your current livestock, your feeding scheule and the type of substrate you have? What are your current NO3 and PO4 levels?

Quote:
What about in a hang on the back filter?
It is really up to you. HOB filters add flow tothe tank and provide you with a place to run chemical filtration. They also provide mechanical filtration. Some will also provide biological filtration, but once the filter pad is changed you llose the bacteria that is on it. You can remove everything from the filter and fill it with LR rubble if you want. IMO, HOB filters do okay provided you have plenty of LR in the main tank for consistant biological filtration.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:48 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
ok....heres a question....can i get dead LR...and smash it up for my LR rubble? I know and have seen online and places rock....that is out and dry (kinda like that ugly color fake coral LFS has) and was thinkin I can get that and smash it to us as my rubble and over time it will grow
let me know....

Tags
balls, bio, bio balls

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com