Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2004, 01:27 PM   #1
EBR
Aquarium Advice Activist

LR sources??

Hi -- I've got a 55 gal that's been cycled for quite a while, with a couple of damsels that are doing fine. I'm now ready to stock it up with LR before getting any other fish, and have recently (re)discovered the sticker-shock. Between the two LFS in my area, it's either $6 or $7 a pound.

Soooooo, turning to Mr Google, I found:

www.aquacon.com (25# for ~$140)
www.marinedepotlive.com (44# for $160), and
www.liverocks.com (cultured 20# for $105)

Does anyone have good or bad advice about any of all of these sources? Also, I'm planning on about 40-50 punds worth -- is that about right?
Thanks.

Matt

Old 03-13-2004, 02:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

if your on a budget you might want to add some www.hirocks.com it si cheap and then order a few lbs. of the best you can find to seed it

Old 03-13-2004, 02:43 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
if you search aquacon on here you will find alot of people really really suggest you run away from that site with your hand on your wallet for protection.

marinedepot rock is from fiji and its the same basic rock you get if you order from liveaquaria or many of the other sources selling fiji rock.

liverocks.com is FL aquacultured rock. They are also a sponsor here and if you look in the sponsor forum you will see their forum and many happy customers responses about them and even some acutal photos of the rock that they recived.

When you get your rock I would suggest curing it in a seperate container. The reason is to prevent a possible ammonia spike in your display tank from any live rock dieoff.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 02:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

liverocks.com has some great rock.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 06:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Zack
Hey
come on down to look at some cool pics and what members here say!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewforum.php?f=50
Old 03-13-2004, 08:18 PM   #6
EBR
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the help. As for curing, what's involved with that? If I understand correctly, the "live rock" I get at the LFS is already cured, whereas the rock from Liverocks.com is not -- true? If so, how big of a mess am I asking for? I'm not sure a smelly tank will go over well

Matt
Old 03-13-2004, 08:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Zack
Hey
Our rock will exp some die-off depending on the tempature where you are at. Is this rock for a new tank?
AA has an article here http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...aq=2&fldAuto=6
Old 03-13-2004, 11:16 PM   #8
EBR
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi Zack --
The tank is 55 gal and established for about 8 months. I've got about 5# of live rock already from the LFS, two damsels, and an anemone (impulse purchase at the time). Should I plan to re-cure your rock? I've got a 30 gal tank empty in the basement that I suppose I could set up for curing, but it would be great to get away without doing so.

BTW, I'm in Maryland. Thanks, and I appreciate any advise.

Matt
Old 03-14-2004, 08:11 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not Zack but yes you will get some die off. The 30 gal would make a good "curing" tank. Do you have filter, heater ETC for it?

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 09:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I understand your concerns. I just finished curing my LR. It was a fair amount of work, but if you can be prepared, you'll be psychologically ready.

I got my LR from liverocks.com and they are great to deal with. The rock is beautiful, but like the other suggestions, have a place to cure it separately, or prepare a smaller QT and use your current tank to cure the rock (perhaps a less attractive option with the anenome). I had 2 damsels in a cycled tank that I added the rock to. I ended up moving one damsel (the other died) to a QT because of the ammonia spike. If you see very little die-off and ammonia spikes, at least you'll have spared your current tank inhabitants.

As for the process, I believe there's an article on this. Basically it involves doing regular water changes and extracting dead things. I did up to 15-25% daily for just over a week before my ammonia levels came down from 4-8 to 1. Make sure you have plenty of salt on hand (if you make your own SW) and dechlorinator (if you use tap water).

Just another comment about the LR from liverocks.com. I checked my LFS for LR and wondered why they called it live after seeing what was on the LR from liverocks.com.

I hope that helps,

Jeff

304 Fluval
2 Maxijet 900 PHs
60# LR
1 Blue Damsel
1 Yellow Tail Damsel
2 Percula Clown
1 Yellow Tang (Small)
1 Peppermint Shrimp
3 Astrea, 3 Cerith, and Unknown Nassarius (LR hitch hikers Snails
jvennitti is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com