LR versus filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc1of2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know that live rock has denitrification bacteria on it but what other benefits would it have for a fish only tank? If I had an established tank with biological type media in the filter would it not do the same thing? I plan on starting a 75g tank for a porcupine puffer, harlequin wrasse, and a trigger. I would like to add some live rock just for decoration and the added bacteria. The rock is soo expensive is there another alternative for just the decoration aspect.

no.. bio media houses arobic bacteria.. the denitrification bacteria is deep inside the LR were there is little if any O2 were the anirobic bactiera can live.. bio-media does not have areas were low 02 can occur to have denitratification/anirobic bacteria live.. thus it will not allow NO3 to be filtered out of the tank..
side note.. in fish only systems the need for stable 0ppm of NO3 is well nonexistant so it will only help to keep your fish a little healthier and the need for larger water changes will go down so its not a nessisty.. HTH

Also, I would recommend a good skimmer since your FO choices are Wrasse, Puffer, and Trigger..these guys are messy eaters. 8O

LR is expensive, but look at it from a benefits perspective. :wink:

Mike

If I make sure my tank is cycled first can I add one piece of live rock at a time? I know that you do get some die off when you get a fresh piece. Is there an amount that you would need before you get the denitrification benefits?

I would cycle the tank with the LR. Get as much as you can to start with. This will cycle your tank for you. 1 1/2 - 2lbs per gallon is what I would get.

Mike

Jc, sorry to hijack your thread, but I noticed your location. I’m starting up a saltwater tank in San Antonio too, also a first-timer. Have you found any good fish stores in the area? So far the only two I know of are on Bandera (I forget its name, it’s a semi-bigger place east of Huebner) and Eckhert (in a strip mall near the Bandera/Eckhert intersection). They both have their plusses... the smaller Eckhert one was friendlier and gave me more attention while the larger one on Bandera had more options... but it’d be nice to have some more choices.

Pick up some base rock that is a lot cheaper then LR and over time it will become LR. Fish need LR or BR for places to hide also, if you do not have enough there will be some fighting for the space. Also when you clean your filters there is a chance of killing off some of the needed bacteria and this could cause some issues with the tank stability. If you do add rock after the cycle make sure its cured already or add in small amounts.

Back
Top Bottom