Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2003, 05:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

LR vs filter question

I was told that if you have enough live rock & a thick sand bed then you don't need a filter. Is this true? So how much LR is enough to not need a filter for my 55 gal? I only planned on purchasing 1 - 45 lb box. Would you still need the filter at 1st until the rock was fully cured & then take it out?

-::- ((.*

Compaired to men....whatever women do must be done twice as hard to be thought of half as good.
swishyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 05:56 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I would not consider that enough rock to handle the bioload of anything but a very lightly stocked 55. Even with a sand bed, I would shoot for 1-1.5lbs per gallon before going filterless. If you do get enough rock that your comfortable going filterless, it will cycle itself, there is no need for the filter.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 06:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok thanks then maybe I'll plan on upping my amount of LR then.

Compaired to men....whatever women do must be done twice as hard to be thought of half as good.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

So I'm thinking of using 30 lb of baserock & 45 lbs of LR, should that be enough to go w/out the filter? 75 lbs in a 55 gal. ofcourse with 75 lbs or rock I'll probably only be able to fit 45 gal of water in it.

Old 04-16-2003, 06:56 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

With a sandbed, I think that would be fine, provided you don't overstock the aquarium.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 07:03 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
provided you don't overstock the aquarium
Those are the most important words in this thread in my view. I like to stock my tanks slowly to give the biofilter a chance to establish and flourish.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 07:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh I will be stocking slowly, I was planning on 1 fish a month should I make it 1 every 2 months?

Old 04-16-2003, 11:14 PM   #8

I am currently running my 55 with no filtration other than about 85 to 100lbs(don't really know, I add more every 2 weeks) LR with 3in sand. Well, I do use a prefilter sponge in the overflow, however, it doesn't count, because it gets cleaned everyday. I am running a Skimmer but, in another thread, I commented about how I am not getting much out of it, so I am thinking of discontinuing that. Things are going great.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:02 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Tim do you have pics of your tank I can see. I want to see how that much LR looks in the 55. Mainly the room.

E-mail the pics to me if you wish

swishy_fishies@yahoo.com

Old 04-17-2003, 12:00 PM   #10

I do, but for some reason, I can't post it..I am getting an error saying no post mode specified.

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com