LR vs filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swishyfishies

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was told that if you have enough live rock & a thick sand bed then you don't need a filter. Is this true? So how much LR is enough to not need a filter for my 55 gal? I only planned on purchasing 1 - 45 lb box. Would you still need the filter at 1st until the rock was fully cured & then take it out?

I would not consider that enough rock to handle the bioload of anything but a very lightly stocked 55. Even with a sand bed, I would shoot for 1-1.5lbs per gallon before going filterless. If you do get enough rock that your comfortable going filterless, it will cycle itself, there is no need for the filter.

So I'm thinking of using 30 lb of baserock & 45 lbs of LR, should that be enough to go w/out the filter? 75 lbs in a 55 gal. ofcourse with 75 lbs or rock I'll probably only be able to fit 45 gal of water in it.

provided you don't overstock the aquarium

Those are the most important words in this thread in my view. I like to stock my tanks slowly to give the biofilter a chance to establish and flourish.

Oh I will be stocking slowly, I was planning on 1 fish a month should I make it 1 every 2 months?

I am currently running my 55 with no filtration other than about 85 to 100lbs(don't really know, I add more every 2 weeks) LR with 3in sand. Well, I do use a prefilter sponge in the overflow, however, it doesn't count, because it gets cleaned everyday. I am running a Skimmer but, in another thread, I commented about how I am not getting much out of it, so I am thinking of discontinuing that. Things are going great.

I do, but for some reason, I can't post it..I am getting an error saying no post mode specified.

Here is a pic from about a month ago...I believe this is about the 80lb or so mark...There are 3 pieces on the bottom that are 15 lbs a piece. then a few 8lb pieces and then mostly 2-4b pieces. I am still to this day not real happy with the way it looks..but, one day, I will get it like I want it..

Just shows how two peoples tastes are never the same...cause I think it looks good! :lol: Is that a FOWLR or is it gonna be a reef? I think if it's gonna be a reef, you will be very happy once there are some corals growing in there. If it's a FOWLR, you might be happier with it built up a little more in the middle.

ok nice pic. I just wanted to see if that much rock would make it look too full but it doesn't. thanks

Most of the rock is small peices hand picked and bought a few lbs at a time over the course of months.

Kevin,

I am going to make it a reef hopefully one day, I have bought some things..Right now, I do not have good enough light for most of what I want..

Here are a couple of tryouts shown below:

Back
Top Bottom