LR..what do you suggest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Syndi31104

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm wanting to get the rest of my LR in, and I do want different kinds from different places. I did like the fiji rock, what do you think? I might get that as the majority if you guys think it would be better. I like keys as well. Any suggestions?

Well Syndi, I was planning on getting some of the larger Fiji for the base of my "reef" then place a box of keys and a box of gulf on top of that. Currently I have 120lbs of base rock to support the Fiji. Here in the metroplex you can get the Fiji from Marine Center delivered for less than 200.00, but the critters on the rock itself will be minimal. This is not the case with the keys and gulf. These types of rock from liverocks.com are teeming with life from what i have read on this site. So for diversity I am going to get as many different kinds as I can, but I also have a 180 gallon with lots of room. HTH

cool, thanks a lot. Yea I think I am going to go ahead and get like 40 of the fiji and another 10 of keys or something along those lines. Of course, I am also going for cheaper since I do have a bit of a budget. Thanks for your help Dusty :)

Maybe i'ts me, but I don't like fiji rock...it looks unnatural, more like iron rebar that's been encrusted with some crud.
I was super pleased with my order from liverocks.com
Just got 40lbs of keys rock last week and had soem brittle stars, crabs, some tiny shrimps or something...some tiny feather dusters...a few bristle worms....possibly a mantis shrimp (something in the tank or the tank itself is making a clicking sound....) and some weird clam/snail thing that occasional opens up.

and to think they warned me that the keys rocks isn't nearly as 'alive' with critters as their gulf rock!

Just to throw another opinion in, I totally disagree with malkore and think fiji is the best looking rock around! And I'm not sure how rock taken directly from around a reef could look unnatural compared to aquacultured rock!

i like marshall island the best :) and what fiji rock have you seen malkore ¿?¿
the only think i dont like with the florida rock is all the barnacles :-(

I don't like Fiji either from the Figi I have seen. I actually like all of the barnacles that I have in my tank too .

Yeah I don't like that branching Tonga stuff either.. Fiji just looks like regular rock, but the coralline coverage is awesome.

well i'm still very happy with my keys rock after seeing real Fiji. I suppose tonga has it's place/purpose...but it's not in my tank :)

yea that fiji is lookin pretty good, i'm going to order some of that next week! I'll get some pictures up after I put it in. My flame angel will love it! :D I have read a lot about how flame's haven't been doing so well, with cyanide and all. Mine seems to eat very well, anything that I feed it, it eats. If it eats that way and grazes like a normal angel, you think that'd be a good sign of no previous cyanide capture?

thanks for all your help on the live rock..fiji does look really nice, and the tonga looks like..well..no thanks

from what I have learned it is all personal preference, buy what you can afford I personally like liverocks.com but I still cant belive I spent $500 on rocks

Back
Top Bottom