LR with Hair Algea Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emricson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Currently my 29G tank only has 38lbs of LR sitting in it. I have just started putting the tank together this past weekend. I noticed on one of the rocks that I purchased that I might have some hair algea growing on it. The LFS that I purchased it from is generally pretty reliable about not selling bad stuff.

My question is should I be concerned about the hair algea spreading? This is a new tank and Im just trying to get it cycled. Also I do have a RemoraC Skimmer and two 900 Maxi-Jet PH.

Any suggestions?

Another thing that I just want to mention is that the hair algea is currently only located on one rock. Couldn't I just take it out. The rock is only about 2lbs at most.

You won't beat hair algae by removing that rock. If your tank conditions are such that hair algae wants to grow, it will. It will do so whether you leave that rock in or not.

Don't overfeed, use RO/DI water, contol phosphates....and the hair algae on that rock will die back.

Totally normal in a new tank, you'll go through a few out breaks the first few months.

Pick up a clean up crew after you cycle

I picked up some astreas and put them on a rock I had with a similar issue and they had it cleaned in a day. since then they've moved off and are working on the rest of the tank. I have a bit of hair algae on the back walls, but I don't mind it much since the pods seem to love it.

Thanks everyone for the responses. The hair algea seems to just be located on the one rock and it doesn't seem to be moving. After I have cycled I will get a clean up crew to start clearing it up.

Back
Top Bottom