LTA Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just bought a long tentacle anemone today. It's brown with an orange/red column. Of course it flopped over on it's side when we put it in the tank. Anyway, I dug a hold in the sand and placed the column in there and kind of piled the sand around it to hold it in place. Since then, it has opened up and is looking pretty good. It's remained standing, but I think it's moved towards the back of the tank a little bit.

The question: I've read that these guys move around a lot, but I got a recommendation to get a 3" wide piece of pvc pipe and place the column down into that, it's supposed to be just taller than the height of the sand in the tank... Has anyone done this and is it a bad thing or a good thing? I noticed that my lfs has all their anemones and corals in little pvc pipes, I suppose they don't want them moving around, killing each other before they get sold, but if it works for them...????

I have a lta and mine rarely moves. I can only remember it moving twice since I've had it and that was in the beginning while it was searching for it's happy spot. That said, you have about the same set up as I do. Mine loves to be on the rock toward the bottom about 2/3's way down. Give it some time. Don't keep moving it because this will only stress the anemone. It will take some time for it to get fully acclimated to your tank and lights and find the perfect spot. Good luck. The anemone looks great. :D

Thanks, Cindy. I was, obviously, very excited to get my first anemone. I'll take your advice and see how it goes. I did find a picture of yours when I did a search on these guys in the forum last night. It's lovely also.

Another question, are these guys hardy in your opinion? I've read a couple opinions and one was that they are difficult to raise in captivity, another that they're good for beginners. I did make sure I ordered a captvive-bred.

I can only speak from experience but I've found mine to be very hardy. (y) on buying captive bred.

Actually, don't shoot me, I ordered it from Petco locally :) . They told me the ones they order are captive-bred and it was only $33. It looks really healthy and today I offered it some table shrimp, it took it right away.

FYI, I asked my lfs where they get theirs and they stumbled on the answer. I asked if it was captive-bred, they said, "I think so, I'm not sure, I can find out for you." I didn't buy from them because I figure their employees would know if they are captive-bred since that is so important. I've found that I get conflicting advice from my lfs and the Petco advice most often agrees with what I find here on the forum. Although Petco does way overcharge for salt mix.

Can't recommend an anemone without knowing a bit more about your tanks light setup.

sdellin, where you got it isn't as important as how you got it (captive), no one is gonna shoot you. Your anemone does look healthy and has great color. A bit on feeding though. If you are feeding it table shrimp, which is fine, only feed it once or twice a week and small bits of food. :wink:

Okay on feeding the anemone small bits not often... but another question came up, actually two.

The anemone seems to get more colorful at times (last evening) and lighter color other times... Is that normal, I assume it is.

Also, I had given the little guy a bit of table shrimp, but one of my cleaner shrimps just walked up on him and snatched the food. I read in my handy-dandy pocket guide that the shrimps will take food from corals and anemones. Should I worry about that, maybe adopt out the shrimp? I read that the anemone gets most of it's food from zoolantallae, so maybe this isn't a concern. Do you have cleaner shrimp in with your lta?

DragonForce: What lighting do you have?
Cindy: What do you think is the minimum lighting for anemones? I have a second tank, but the light isn't as bright in that one.

I think what you have now is the least I would go. I think you have just under 5wpg. The color change I'm not sure about. Unless it's just an inflating thing where when it blows up more, it's lighter in color. It would make sense that it would be more colorful/darker at night as it deflates closing up for the night. As for the shrimp, I had a shrimp that used to pick on a bta. It would steal the food. I caught it doing that and chased it away. Next time I looked, the food and shrimp were gone and the anemone was closed up. I can't guarantee the anemone consumed the cleaner shrimp but, it was gone and never seen again after that. My lta is very sticky and closes around the food quickly. Nothing would pull food from it. lol Being new to the tank, it may take a bit for it to take food as eagerly. And yes, you are right in that anemones get most of it's food through the lighting, that's why lighting is so important. But, feeding from time to time is ok too. You just wouldn't want to feed it daily. I nice mix of the two is IMO perfect.

Thanks, I did feed him a piece of shrimp that he closed over, he seemed eager. Well, if he does decide to have live cocktail shrimp, I hope he's hungy because I have two in there!

Here's a pic of him, whom my husband calls "your enema" or "you emenie" (maybe he'll learn) while he was squished up against the rock, he had fallen and he couldn't get up. He moved during the night, so he's in a better place now. If he stays like that, I can live with it because, well, I did pay for him, I'd kind of like to see his face, not his rear end!

FYI, I wanted to help him when he fell over, just a little, but my husband quoted your advice, he wouldn't let me touch the guy!

Attachments

• anemone2_995.jpg
    anemone2_995.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 37
Back
Top Bottom