Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2007, 08:00 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance M.
I wouldn't think being shipped in a box would be affect the anemone that much when it comes to light.What about when there's a storm in the ocean and it's overcast all day?
Yes, but it's already stressed from collection, handling, packaging, changing water chemistry, adjusting to artificial seawater, etc. It all adds up, so it doesn't really compare to a couple cloudy days out on the reef. The zooxanthellae may be expelled due to these stresses alone, not just lighting changes. Zooxanthellae provides a natural sunscreen for corals. Imagine yourself laying on the beach for just an hour w/ no sunscreen.

Quote:
So I have done the plastic container thing. It is about 5 inches higher and I'm going to reduce the lighting schedule to help it out.
Who knows, it may help. I would monitor it very closely though. Best of luck w/ it.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Ah Yes I get your point with the stress. I go easily all day outside in the summer w/o sunscreen. I tan- no burn. I turn red the first day I'm out then after that I just get dark and dark. I wore sunscreen once I think this entire summer. I was a lifeguard btw

Yes I've been watching it all day today. I has looked much better, especially after I shot it with some mysis shrimp that was soaked with Vita-Chem. It fully inflated like it was going to pop and it decided to detach to try and find a new spot but because of the lip on the plastic container it was just drifting around like a balloon lol. It finally did start coming out of the container but I made a plastic top that is pretty much just a frame to keep it in but let the water easily flow through. It settled back on the to sand in the container and burried it's base a little and is stretched out a little and fully inflated. Looks MUCH better.

It seems this has worked.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I wore sunscreen once I think this entire summer. I was a lifeguard btw
Darn! I'm half Italian and I couldn't pull that off.

Quote:
Looks MUCH better
Glad to hear that.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:44 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Well I haven't updated this in a couple days. I took the top off the container as it seemed it had found a spot in there it liked. Well overnight it decided to go out and the next morning I found it upside down attached to a flat rock right next to the container. I decided just to leave it be and several hours later I found in wedging it self into a hole where some rocks meet and it has stayed there for the past couple days. It looks like it's doing a lot better. I shot it with some mysis and it ate some. I think it's too small for any direct feeding except for the mysis.

I read somewhere that young lta's prefer the rocks and as they mature they go to the sand. And I saw some pictures of some green lta's so I am thinking that's what it is.

Heh yea. I'm half Japanese and I get very tanned.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com