Lump on Peppermint shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmcpeek

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a peppermint shrimp that has a big lump on his side right behind its head.

The thing acts just like the other peps in my tank. Always scavenging and is the first one out at feedings. Any ideas?

Attachments

• pic_009.jpg
    pic_009.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 293
Ok. It seems to have gotten bigger since it molted last. I will keep my eye on it and see what happens. Thanks

Can you get a closer shot? From what you describe it almost sounds like a pill bug. Does it have any discernable markings or is it just a "blob"? Also is it on top of the shrimp's head or on the side? If on top, it could simpley be an egg clutch although that would usually have migrated to the underside of the abdoman after a molt.

Cheers
Steve

My peppermint has one of those too. He molted the other day and it is still there. I have no idea what it is either. Mine seems to be moving around and eating properly. Anyone else have any ideas.

Steve I will try to get a closer shot. It is on the upper side of its body directly behind the head. Other than the the blob I cannot see any other markings on it.

tmcpeek said:
It is on the upper side of its body directly behind the head.
Sounds like the digestive track/gut area. Might actually be nothing to worry about but a better pic would tell for sure.

Cheers
Steve

I looked at it again (no pic and it is the same color as the egg clutch on the others. I just looks like it is at 3:00 (on its side) instead of 12:00 (on top of it)

Wait for another molt and see what happens. Could be it is an egg clutch but didn't migrate properly after the previous molt.

Cheers
Steve

I was looking at my peppermint today and i noticed that it is no longer there. I dont know. There is still a small spot on him but it doesnt look anything like it did. Seems to be getting better

Back
Top Bottom