MACNA notes from Sat and Sunday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had hoped to have some more extensive notes than I do but I did promise to share what I did write down so here it is. These are some highlights of the sessions that I had time to sit down and acutally listen to what was being said.

Steven Pro - Recent Experiments with 'Reef-Safe' treatments.
Steven gave a great presentation on some of his work with establishing how reef safe some of the treatments that are sold on the market. Steven is hobbists like the rest of us whom just has had the drive to perform some product tests to establish how different products perform under controled testing. This round of tests where to establish how reef safe various treatments where by using xenia as a basis. His next set of tests will be on garlic and how effective it really is aganst ich.

Dirk Petersen - A step ahead: the new caribbean deep reef exhibit at Rotterdam Zoo.

Dirks presentation talked about how the people at the Rotterdam Zoon in germany renovated one of their large exhibits into a caribbean reef exhibit. He outlined many of the struggles they had when putting the system together as well as talked about the kinds of corals that are being featured in the exhibit.

Rebecca Swenson - Methodologies for Aiptasia eradication - use and culture of Berghia nudibranchs.

I wish I had an opportunity to listen to more of Rebecca's presentation but the basics of is was her work with the Berghia nudibranchs for natural aiptasia removal in the aquarium. She outlined that the berghia have an incredable appitite for aiptasia and if one wants to keep the berghia in captivity one really needs to cultivate and grow aiptasia in a seperate tank so as to keep up with their appitite. She mentioned that it was not uncommon for a nudi to consume up to 5 or more aiptasia per day. Her presentation included videos on the Berghia egglaying and embronic development.

Dana Riddle - New information on coral husbandry

To my suprise one of the first things Dana said was this "some tanks are over illuminated". Thats right. To much light! He went on to explain that one of the issues with this over illumination is infared heat transfer. What he found is that while the water temperature might have been fine using an infared thermomoter the coral itself was sometimes much warmer than the surrounding water. This heat buildup can lead to coral bleaching as well as other issues. Some studyies where done using various color LED's and Dana found that red LED's almost always lead to coral bleaching. The conclusion that was drawn is that the red light produced by the led's and ultimatly by lower kelvin bulbs caused the coral itself to heat up beyond the level at which it could survive.

In many instances Dana said that some corals have almost totally shut down their photosynthis process by 'mid-morning'. This is most likly a natural development to compensate for changing weather conditions in the wild. The only invert that was found to almost never shut down the photosynthis was the maxima clam.

More information about Dana's study can be found at http://www.advancedaquarists.com

Julian Sprung - A review of sponges and their husbandry.

Julian's lecture was very informative for anyone whom has wanted to keep orenmental sponges or has had them crop up in the tank and just wondered how to care for them. The sponges skelital composition is made up by something called spongin and he compaired it to collogen. As far as what sponges feed on he said this. Many sponges have symbionats that help feed the sponge either by photosynthists or other means. In addition sponges consume disolved organic mater, bactera, phytoplankton and ultra fine particulate mater. Along the lines of feeding the orentation of the sponge to the water current can be critial to its development and survivability. Sponges will grow with a specific orentation to the water current that will permit them to trap as much food as they need. Changing water currents or changing orentation to those water currents can lead to a sponge's starvation.

Julian hinted that in the correct volume sponges can also be benifital as bio filters. Since sponges harbor nitrifying bactera in large enough volume sponges can acutally help reduce nitrates in ones aquarium.

While he did mention that most times people will say 'dont let that sponge become exposed to air or it will die' he also said that this is not always the case and there are many sponges that reside in tidal areas that get exposed to air during low tide. He did go on to say that keeping sponges from being exposed to air is overall a good idea just to be safe.

One sponge to be sure to never put in the tank is the Amphimedon sponge. This is because the sponge is very toxic to fish even in small doses.

Justin Credebel - Sucessful Goniopora culture in the aquarium.

Justin's presentation was very informative as well as entertaning to anyone that stayed around for the final two speakers. Justin over the last few years has been able to not only sucessfuly keep Goniopora in the aquarium he has sucessfully fragged and grown goniopora in the aquarium. During his presentation he showed many videos of the various goniopora colonies as well as video on direct feeding and fragging techniques. As far as feeding what he has found is that many varieties of gonniopora will feed on frozen rotofers, cyclopeeze, cyclopeeze juice, DT oyster eggs, liquid life plankton with cyclopeeze as well as various home made food mixtures. What he has also found is that the smaller the sized food particles are the better the overall growth rate for the goniopora. One of Justin's gono tanks is lit with 2 X 400W MH and 2 X 250W MH. Even though the tank is 300 gal in size he only has 3 fish. One of the reasons for this is that the fish and other inverts will take the food from the goniopora before its had a chance to consume it.

The conclusion of the weekend was Charles Delbeek giving a visual wondershow of some GIANT reef aquariums over the world. Many of these aquariums where at public aquariums in countries like the US, Germanay, Japan, Netherlands, etc.

How you took such great notes is almost beyond me! I totally forgot to even bring a notebook. I was there and am looking forward to the DVD release! 8)

Thanks for reminding me what I spent my weekend listening to!

One of the presentations that I did gleen a lot of information from was Sanjay Joshi. He presented data from his experiments on lighting. It was interesting to see that some 400w bulbs actually produced less light than their 250w counterparts. His website http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/ is packed full of information on various bulb/ballast combinations.

He also went through a description of how the K values get assigned to bulb colors. What was interesting was how far off the K value some of these bulbs are but because they are closest to that value that is the value they are assigned.

nice work fishfreek with the notes. I really appreciate it. I found the gonipora talk very interesting since these rank as my #1 favorite coral. I normally am only successful at keeping them going for about 8-9 months.

Hey there lady's and gent's, i am a fellow reefer from down in southern md. Macna sure was a great time. I notice a few of you were admin types, and i was curius if you could make the thread i started today a sticky. It is titled "First Southern Maryland Reef Symposium". That would be really nice of you to do that for me if you could. Also check out our website, www.smmas.org We are a new club that started up this year and we are runnin hard. We got masna to post us on there front page, a few of our sponsors are advertising for us. Thank you for you time.

also not to brag, but i had a wonderful time at MACNA XVII, in fact i won the 12 cases of reef crystals salt. :D

I'd like to add to what you have fishfreek.

Bob Fenner's presentation during the gala was very interesting. He talked about the Red Sea and it's inhabitants. His slide show and narrations was very entertaining.

Walt Smith's talk about his efforts in aquaculture in the Pacific was great as well. He showed the process of making live rock from making the rock itself, placing the rock, turning it, and retrieving it. As well as his efforts in coral propagation, mainly acroporas. He also started a coral trail where visitors can come and plant their own coral and watch it grow. The money the resorts make on the corals is then donated to conservation efforts. Pretty neat stuff.

Dr Ron Shimek started out his session on identifing unknown things... by saying he didn't bring any slides to look at so if anyone there had pictures for things to be identified he would help them with that. No one had brought any so he went onto answering questions on hitchhikers and different algaes found in a reef system.

Jorge Gomezjurado's session on seahorses was interesting. He talked about the history of seahorses, diseases, captive breeding efforts and about his breeding facility in Baltimore.

Eric Borneman did a session on "future of the hobby and what it means to me". He covered everything from filtration, skimmers, carbon, uv's, liverock, livesand to testing, feeding, etc. It was great hearing his views on husbandry and where the hobby is heading.

Gayatri Reksodihardjo-Lilley did a session on supplying the trade -marine ornamental collectors in Indonesia. This was a great eye opener. Lilly is the director for MAC (Marine Aquarium Council) in Indonesia. She talked and showed slides of how fish are collected for the trade. And how 99% of the ornamental fish collectors are still using cyanide. And why fish do not always survive once they get to our systems. The collectors are poor people who don't really know (but are learning through the MAC efforts) about better collection techniques. Things that are killing the fish though are the cyanide, poor netting and collecting skills, lack of decompressation, poor holding facilities, tight packing, legnth of time between collection and sale can be as much as 30days. And often times these facilities have no electricity. The collectors make very little on these fish and the high cost is primarily due to high transportation costs.

I had to get ready to leave at this point due to my kids and husband and the fact that we had to check out of the hotel at noon. At any rate, I did get to stay and watch Sprungs talk on sponges and that was awesome. I wish I could have stayed for the last two speakers. At any rate the weekend was just awesome. Getting to meet with some of the leading people in the industry for me was priceless. Lets not forget the exchange hall and all the wonderful work done there. The coral identification session by Borneman was great as well as the fragging session with Calfo and Borneman. The exchange hall itself was mind boggling with so many vendors and products. And, kudos to the folks at the frag exchange who did nothing but frag corals and give them away all weekend. What a great bunch. It was a great time. :D

Fluff was very excited to be able to talk to Bob Fenner one on one. Star struck if you will. I know cause I saw the hole thing from half way across the room. ;)

Yes! We really did play it up.

He was awesome though!

*Makes note* We are not crazy. :)

Are any of you that went to MACNA going to go next year in Houston? Would be killer, IMO.

yeah bob fenner is really "the man" when it comes to saltwater aquariums. his book is still considered one of the best for beginning hobbysits. mike paletta from north hills in pa is also a great resource on saltwater and reef aquariums and fenner's book and paletta's book The New Marine Aquarium make good companion choices.

Back
Top Bottom