Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2004, 02:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Macro Algae

Well, I am wanting some macro to provide food for my fish and help the pest algae, can I add it to my main tank?? I was wanting some for my b-day which is may 6 I was also wondering if theres any good sw gifts that would make my tank better? Thanks

Old 04-30-2004, 02:23 PM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
It all depends on what type of macro you want, but IMO there is no reason you can't keep it in your main tank. Some macros are floating, some attach to the rocks and some like a sandy bottom. Same goes with fish eating it, some they will eat, some they won't touch...all depends on the fish and the type of marco you get. But remember, if you are having micro algae problems, it may take over the macro and kill it off. The best thing to do is 1st see why you have a micro problem and correct that.

You want a good sw birthday prersent? The best you can get is patience . But besides that, what kind of protein skimmer do you have? Do you have an ro/di unit for yor water? No more livestock additions to your tank..time for stuff to improve the conditions in it.

Old 04-30-2004, 02:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a seaclone 100, I already asked my dad about about ro/di unit and he said that it wont help anything and it isnt needed. He wants a cpr, maybe I can get that for my b-day??? Or what skimmer would you reccomend for a 55gal?
Old 04-30-2004, 04:24 PM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Seaclone isn't a bad skimmer and I personally wouldn't spend any $ to upgrade it at this point.
No disrespect meant, but unless the tap water or well water you use goes thru some kind of super filtration, your dad is wrong. Where I live our water goes thru a filtration plant before is gets to our house, but the TDS is still around 80ppm. After the water is run thru my ro/di unit it is 0 ppm. I would sort of find it hard to believe that the water you get from your tap can match that purity, which is what you need if you want to avoid long term problems with micro algae. You can get an aquarium use ro/di unit on ebay for under $100. IMO that is $100 better spent than on upgrading your protein skimmer.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 02:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
The best you can get is patience
I am a man that truly believed in the philosphy "that patience is for someone who doesn't have anything better to do"......well, since I have started into the hobby, I have learned about patience. I was always one that has to have it NOW!. Instant gratification. Not in this hobby. It has taught me so much already and I have just started.

Quote:
Seaclone isn't a bad skimmer
I also have one. Once it is "dialed" in, it works fairly well. Maybe in the future I will upgrade it, but for now it is fine.

Quote:
Do you have an ro/di unit for yor water?
This I found out is a MUST. I was having an algea problem myself. After reading the advice I was getting here about my water I use to top off with and use for water changes I decided that it was time for the unit. I have been using it now for over a month and my algea problem has since died down. It's not gone but it is much much much less of problem.

Quote:
No more livestock additions to your tank..time for stuff to improve the conditions in it.
I would have to agree totally with this statement. I look at it this way, The next time I put a living creature into my tank. I want the best possible enviroment for it to live. This includes two (2) things.

1st..... Water quality as best I can give them. That is where I am spending my money now.

2nd.... Tankmates they can "live" with. I mean you wouldn't want to put a Mongoose and a snake in the same cage now would you?...LOL

I would like to thank all of the people here that have answered my post as well as others for the advice and education that you have given me. Without you folks I would have taken the "Gospel of the LFS" to heart and may not be enjoying the tank I have now.

SaltWaterTeen, Happy birthday. May you and your saltwater creatures have many many more. But just as evry person strives to increase the quality of thier own lives, so must you increase the quality of life for you "charges", after all they are living creatures.

Good luck,

Mike
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, macro, macro algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com