Macro Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salt4Us

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering if anyone has tried growing Mangroves, we are almost done with setting up the fuge and we currently have some Money plant in the main tank, how fast do they grow and how hard is it to maintain? Do they reproduce? Will they grow under NO's or will I need different lighting? Thanks!

Wow thanks Mike, OK, Mangroves aren't the way I want to go, maybe some type of Macro algae not sure what kind, I don't want something that is going to majorily take over like Caulpera. I'll have to do more research. Thanks!

I think there is some stuff called chetamorpha or something, i think I have some, but I dont really know. It does not go sexual

If you plan on using algaes for the removal of nutrients you basically have to weigh the amount they grow (the more they grow the more nutrients they absorb) against the likly hood of going sexual (basically dieing and sporing out ) and always stay away from any algae that has hold fasts (roots)
here are a few type of micro algaes and thier growth rates to help you in your search.

Halimeda: ~2% / day (10-20 mg/g/d)
Dictyota: ~ 10% (50-100 mg/g/d)
Padina: ~ 10% (75-100 mg/g/d)
Caulerpa: ~ 10% (50-100 mg/g/d)
Thalassia: ~1.5% (10-15 mg/g/d)
Palmaria: ~15% (doubled in 1 week)
Enteromorpha: 20% (7 fold increase in 1 month)
Gracilaria: 6-10% / day

hope it helps
mike

Yes that does very much thanks Mike, we have halimeda and maidens hair in our 29, the halimeda is in the hob fuge, we had problem with the maidens hair going sexual and did die out, but the turbo's ended up eating what died, it is now making it's way back, I guess that's why I was wondering about other macro algaes and wanted to do some research on what we would need, it will be going in a sump/fuge and it will be for removal of nutrients for a 40 gallon long tank, we will be eventually getting corals, so this info will help me, thank you very much! :D

One more question that I'm sure more research would answer for me, but is it ok to have more than one kind of macro algae in a fuge? Lets say Gracilaria and Penicillus sp. ? I'm not sure if the Penicillus sp. goes sexual but I wouldn't be surprised since it looks a lot like the maiden's hair.

Thanks again!

I have caulerpa (3 types) chaetamorpha, and had tang heaven and another type of gracilaria. They didnt make it through the tank crash.

I keep my fuge lights on 24/7 and nothing has gone sexual ever. It was as thick as a jungle until today when I thinned it out.

Cool, thanks Hara, I'd like to do the 24/7 also, since it will be under the tank, the HOB that we have is exposed to the 29 gallon, kind of gives a see thru effect wish I could keep that on all the time, but got to have it dark for the fish.

Back
Top Bottom