Macro Algae in Sump??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am just curious. I have read and seen articles regarding Macroalgae. In some LFS I see they have alot of it just floating in the tank. Others I see in a sump and with a light on it. Is this stuff necessary? Thanks

It will take the excess nutrients out of the water that feed algea in the tank.

macro's out-compete other nuisance algaes, so if you plant them in a fuge, you'll minimize the unwanted algae in the display tank. With that said, it's important to choose your macro wisely. They are usually attractive algaes, but some can get out of control and take over your main tank quite quickly.

I have grape caulerpa in my fuge, and keep it trimmed regularly. The tank I got it from was competely overgrowm in it.... a huge task to rid it. It's said that if you keep lighting it 24/7, then it won't go sexual and spread like that. I haven't had any problems yet, but the tank is still young.

Chaetomorpha is probably your best bet. It won't go sexual, and is fairly aggressive at nutrient removal... plus it's not nearly as noxious as the caulerpa's.

I keep the brillo pad algae (Cheato) in my fuge and it works great. I used to have Caulerpa but the fear of it going asexual on me was to much. Plus it spread and grew like crazy so i had to trim it pretty regularly. the brillo grows a lot slower to me so I don't have to trim it as often.

I have grape calerpa in mine also. If you keep the fuge lights on 24/7 and keep it trimmed you will have no problem. This of course is IME

Back
Top Bottom