Macro for my refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spotted

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, So I ordered me a Trigger Systems Ruby 36 Elite.
I want opinoins on what should go in the refugium section. I was thinking different types of macro to help with water qaulity? I have a lil bit of Chaeto now, but what other types would be helpful?
I am running timed lighting so I hope whatever goes in would not go sexual.
I currently have a 120 fowlr with a Coral Beauty, 2 Ocel Clowns, 2 Green Chromis, a Yellow Tail Damsel, and a Sailfin Tang.
Any and all help will be appreciated.
Thanks Guys!!

Stick with the cheato for now and see how it does. If you want to add more later on, check out reefcleaners for other ones. If you are running the light on a timer and not worried about it going sexual, you can try the penny macro they offer with orders as you won't know what it will be.

I'm trying to remember who ordered 2 macro samplers for pretty cheap for their angler tank...it'll come to me later I'm sure. But they might be a good person to ask this question too. I would just stick with the cheato for starters though.

I'm confused can u please explain the timed lighting and how it's used in the same sentence with sexual. This is the first time I hear this

Run your sump lights opposite your display. Some macros can go a sexual and release toxins into water. Cheato is one that usually doesn't you will be fine with that one as long as its spinning or you flip every few days to make sure all sides get light,

bavass said:
Run your sump lights opposite your display. Some macros can go a sexual and release toxins into water. Cheato is one that usually doesn't you will be fine with that one as long as its spinning or you flip every few days to make sure all sides get light,

ahh I see thanks

I would suggest a DSB, LR & Macro. The more the merrier.

I agree with Mike. DSB, LR, and Macro.
As for Species, I have a few favorites. Chaeto, obviously, Halymenia, Gracilliara, and Grape caleurpa.
The Halymenia is very pretty, and the Gracilliara can be too. Both are fish edible, so you can feed some to fishies when trimming. Grape Caleurpa has not gone sexual on me yet, and it grows like wildfire, which makes for good nutrient export.
Mine is also on a timed lighting schedule. About 10 hours.

To clarify on lighting and going sexual, there are a few Macros that tend to go sexual more often on certain lighting schedules. C. prolifera is one of those.
And it's less a matter of "releasing toxins" when going sexual as it is a matter of releasing excess nutrients. There's nothing inherently toxic about what the Macros absorb, but if the entire plant dies and releases it's lifetime worth of absorbed nutrients, it can cause serious water quality issues. Also, you don't really want spores landing all over the DT!

Back
Top Bottom