Macro in a Display Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have any of you had any luck keeping Macro in a display tank? I would love to considering that I am not keeping corals at the moment, and want something to make the tank look a little more natural. Plus I would also love the added water benefits! Any thoughts?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! :)

I keep some in mine. So does 54seaweed. The only issue I have in mine is that sometimes it will get tangled up with macro nuisance algae that I don't want and have to clean it out...pulling cotton candy and bubble algae out of some of the stuff isn't very fun at times.

I use to keep feather caulerpa in my tank. I liked it but it eventually died off as I started to drive my phosphates down with phosguard.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks both of you for your input! Do you think the Mexican Turbo snails with be problematic with the algae, or would they tend to stay away?

I never encountered any type of issues with snails and macros
hermit's on the other-hand are nothing more than a big nuisance all though they mostly go after the green macros, I try to avoid greens when I can as they cause the biggest issues if not properly maintained

I basically use a lot of red macros as I love the coloring , not until I started discovering macros did I know there were so many different shades of red from deep red to pale pinks , another thing I like about the reds they are slower growers so maintaining them is a little less stressful , greens look nice and come in many shades also but there grow rate is almost impossible to keep up with ,
macros can be both your friend or your worst enemy , they can actually crash your tank proper care and knowledge is key to prevent this,
if your just starting out with macros I recommend you research about them first get a true understanding of keeping macros, you also need to know what macros are legal in your state as many vary on whats aloud and whats not ,
enclosed is a link that can help give you a basic understanding of macros
Marine Plants In The Aquarium: An online guide to the identification and care of marine plants and macroalgae in the aquarium.

once you get a true understanding about macros you can enjoy both there looks and also there benifits

The snails won't bother macro algae. Tangs may.

I never encountered any type of issues with snails and macros
hermit's on the other-hand are nothing more than a big nuisance all though they mostly go after the green macros, I try to avoid greens when I can as they cause the biggest issues if not properly maintained

I basically use a lot of red macros as I love the coloring , not until I started discovering macros did I know there were so many different shades of red from deep red to pale pinks , another thing I like about the reds they are slower growers so maintaining them is a little less stressful , greens look nice and come in many shades also but there grow rate is almost impossible to keep up with ,
macros can be both your friend or your worst enemy , they can actually crash your tank proper care and knowledge is key to prevent this,
if your just starting out with macros I recommend you research about them first get a true understanding of keeping macros, you also need to know what macros are legal in your state as many vary on whats aloud and whats not ,
enclosed is a link that can help give you a basic understanding of macros
Marine Plants In The Aquarium: An online guide to the identification and care of marine plants and macroalgae in the aquarium.

once you get a true understanding about macros you can enjoy both there looks and also there benifits
Thank you so much for the wealth of information, I will definitely do my research and check out the link you posted. That is so cool about the different shades of red, I didn't really realize just how many kinds there were until you mentioned the reds. I had some beautiful red macro when I started my old 34g many years ago (I no longer have that tank). Thanks again! :thanks:
The snails won't bother macro algae. Tangs may.

Thank you for your info too! I am a little worried, as I may have Tangs in my next tank depending on the size I upgrade too. Maybe if I purchase tangs, I should use the green kind that grows very quickly (like what 54seaweed mentioned). I wonder if it would be able to grow quick enough to handle the constant nipping by the tangs.....:thanks:

If you have macros in the display that tangs will be interested in, there won't be macro in your display for very long. There are some it will want, others that they won't.

Back
Top Bottom