Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-13-2008, 11:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by pph_2ppr View Post
In the book ConscientiousMarine aquarist it said it should have maxed out at five and started its way back down.
I know what chart you're talking about and I think it's more meant to show what a typical cycle looks like. The actual numbers, in my opinion, don't really mean much. It all depends on how you cycle your tank, how much ammonia source you put it to start with, etc. When I first cycled my QT tank (10g), I threw in a whole raw shrimp. That was waaaaaay too much! Stunk like crazy and my ammonia shot up above 6ppm, if I remember correctly. The second time I cycled it, I got smart and just used fish food. Ammonia only went up to 1ppm. It just depends on how you cycle it.

I now understand the "upgrade" issue. From your other post, it sounded like you were going to put that fish that's in your QT in the main tank only after a couple days. I guess I assumed it already had live rock, etc. Yeah... that stuff can get pricey. I have no idea about mangroves, so I'll let someone else tackle that.

Regarding the deep sand bed (DSB), technically, DSBs are normally considered 6" deep. That's going to take up a fair amount in a 10g. My sand bed is minimum 4" in places, and it seems to work OK as a DSB. Even then, that's still a lot of space for a 10g.

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via MSN to pph_2ppr
right now i continue to add sand but am at 2". since Live rock is so far out there would anyone be willing to sell a pound or 2 of live rock to help seed my tank? This would greatly help the quality of life for my fish, my aquariums life, and my problem of being "isolated". In gas i would spent over $50 just to get these couple lbs.

what is the reccomended wattage of a 10g nano-reef?

pph_2ppr is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com