Macroalgae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lshann14

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 110g reef tank with a 30g sump and a 20g QT
110lbs of LR and about 90 lbs of live sand and crushed coral. 2 Racoon butterfly, Foxface, flame angel and a 17" snowflake moray eel.
I have heard that macro algae will help me reduce nitrates.
Where would the macro go and where can I find it. Any answers would be great
Thanks ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387855503.157974.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387855524.941019.jpg

What corals do you have? What are your nitrates at? Caulerpa is the best you can get IMO, grows like a weed and is good a cutting down on nitrates, but doesnt eliminate them. But it seems you dont have any space for a refugium, wheres the skimmer? I cant tell sorry. Is it to the left of the bio-balls? Or is that the return pump?

What corals do you have? What are your nitrates at? Caulerpa is the best you can get IMO, grows like a weed and is good a cutting down on nitrates, but doesnt eliminate them. But it seems you dont have any space for a refugium, wheres the skimmer? I cant tell sorry. Is it to the left of the bio-balls? Or is that the return pump?

My skimmer is to the left of the bio balls. My nitrates are generally low. I just have leather corals. Frogspawn. And some birdsnest.

My skimmer is to the left of the bio balls. My nitrates are generally low. I just have leather corals. Frogspawn. And some birdsnest.

Do you have the exact reading? I generally do a 20% WC weekly on all my tanks and my nitrates stay at 0 year round. Thats the best way to beat em. Using RODI based saltwater that is, if your using tap your basiclly adding phosphate and nitrate to the water. Just a random Q, isnt that starfish a chocolate chip? They are know for eating hard SPS and LPS like your birdsnest. Unfortuanitly you dont have any space to put macro in the sump unless theres a hidden compartment... Is there?

Do you have the exact reading? I generally do a 20% WC weekly on all my tanks and my nitrates stay at 0 year round. Thats the best way to beat em. Using RODI based saltwater that is, if your using tap your basiclly adding phosphate and nitrate to the water. Just a random Q, isnt that starfish a chocolate chip? They are know for eating hard SPS and LPS like your birdsnest. Unfortuanitly you dont have any space to put macro in the sump unless theres a hidden compartment... Is there?

I could get an exact reading tomorrow. No hidden space in the sum:(

That little tiny skimmer in the return area is doing nothing for your tank. You need a MUCH larger skimmer. Also, the bio balls are probably contributing to your nitrates. A wet/dry setup is good for a fish only tank but the high oxygen bacteria it houses is good for everything BUT nitrate removal. usually, they capture a lot of detritus and then just produce nitrate. I would Lose the bio balls and buy a skimmer rated for 1.5 to 2 times your total system volume.

That little tiny skimmer in the return area is doing nothing for your tank. You need a MUCH larger skimmer. Also, the bio balls are probably contributing to your nitrates. A wet/dry setup is good for a fish only tank but the high oxygen bacteria it houses is good for everything BUT nitrate removal. usually, they capture a lot of detritus and then just produce nitrate. I would Lose the bio balls and buy a skimmer rated for 1.5 to 2 times your total system volume.

I was thinking that the skimmer is to small aswell, looks like a coralife biocube skimmer, which sucks on anything above 20 gallons.

I know the skimmer is too small. I am only 15 years old and don't have disposable income to just spend on a $300 skimmer

I know the skimmer is too small. I am only 15 years old and don't have disposable income to just spend on a $300 skimmer

If your strapped for cash, you should first remove the bio balls as they absorb dietrus and cause nitrates. Then see about getting some sand and live rock rubble in the bottom of that first chamber of your sump. Add a light and maybe some cheato above that rock rubble and it should help. It's not a long term fix, but if your on a budget and need something now until you can do something in the future, it will help. A few pounds at min of sand, and a bucket of rock rubble. My lfs sells rr for about 20 bucks for a 5 gallon bucket almost full. Hope this can help, but long term you will need a bigger skimmer, and prob a different sump/Fuge setup down below.

Well, then you answered your own question in a sense. You are going to have to alter that wet/dry to turn it into a refugium. You will have to remove the bio balls and the filter pad tray on top, then put a filter sock in the corner maybe. Algae, and a light over it. Personally, I would save up for a skimmer suitable for your size system and put that in the place where you are thinking refugium.

If your strapped for cash, you should first remove the bio balls as they absorb dietrus and cause nitrates. Then see about getting some sand and live rock rubble in the bottom of that first chamber of your sump. Add a light and maybe some cheato above that rock rubble and it should help. It's not a long term fix, but if your on a budget and need something now until you can do something in the future, it will help. A few pounds at min of sand, and a bucket of rock rubble. My lfs sells rr for about 20 bucks for a 5 gallon bucket almost full. Hope this can help, but long term you will need a bigger skimmer, and prob a different sump/Fuge setup down below.

Thankyou

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387897728.326136.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387897746.525975.jpg
Is there anyway to connect two sumps and have one a refugium and to have one with the regular bio balls?

Also check with local reef clubs. You can sometimes find used skimmers in good working condition for cheap or even free(usually not but sometimes you may luck out).

See if there's any local reef clubs near you and hit em up for some help. I'm sure there are plenty who are willing to help you out.

I grow macro in my display tank. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387944160.665091.jpg you could do this as an option. This will not replace a good skimmer though.

Back
Top Bottom