Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-09-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Macroalgae has aiptasia in it

Got a bag of Macroalgae from my lfs (mixed bag with chaeto, grape caulerpa, not sure what else, lol). I am working on a diy ac hob fuge, so i put the macroalgae in a breeder box in my tank for the time being.
Today, I discoved 2 fairly good size aiptasia anemones on the algae in the breeder box. I pulled the box out and put it in a bucket with water from the tank, but I am not sure what to do now. Where I saw 2 of the, just in one spot, I have to assume there are more. Can I go through this algae and try to pull out what looks clean and ok to put in my fuge, or should I just toss it all?
Can I give the algae a freshwater bath to try and kill the aiptasia, or will that kill the algae as well?

Im a little miffed that my lfs is selling infested macroalgae, I never even knew this was something I should watch for with macros, and am kicking myself now for putting it in my tank. Really hoping those aiptasias didnt have a chance to spread to the tank.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

On a good note, They had a gorgeous tailspot blenny that I will be picking up on Tuesday. Yay! So excited!

Old 12-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Put the algae in another container and remove the aiptasia and whatever pieces it is attached to.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok. That is my plan. Do you think the rest of the aglae that does not have aiptasia is ok to put in my fuge? I really dont want to introduce this pest to my tank (though it may be too late already, hoping not).
Old 12-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I think things will be fine once you get rid of the ones in there.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Right....just pull the visible ones out and don't worry about it. I have had a lot of aptasia in my sumps before and none in the DT. They don't seem to make the jump too often.
As for the LFS selling "infested" algae, did you expect them to go through it with a magnifying glass and make sure it's just plants and nothing else? If so, I imagine it would be 75 bucks a hand full and not 10.
I would not rinse the algae as you would be killing off pods and all sorts of other life, which most of us want in our systems.
Aptasia are only pests if you view them as such. If they were a little brighter in color and the tips bubbled, they would be selling them to you for 100 bucks a piece! That said, they are easy keep in check.

Tags
aiptasia, algae, macro, macroalgae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com