Macroalgae has aiptasia in it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Got a bag of Macroalgae from my lfs (mixed bag with chaeto, grape caulerpa, not sure what else, lol). I am working on a diy ac hob fuge, so i put the macroalgae in a breeder box in my tank for the time being.
Today, I discoved 2 fairly good size aiptasia anemones on the algae in the breeder box. I pulled the box out and put it in a bucket with water from the tank, but I am not sure what to do now. Where I saw 2 of the, just in one spot, I have to assume there are more. Can I go through this algae and try to pull out what looks clean and ok to put in my fuge, or should I just toss it all?
Can I give the algae a freshwater bath to try and kill the aiptasia, or will that kill the algae as well?

Im a little miffed that my lfs is selling infested macroalgae, I never even knew this was something I should watch for with macros, and am kicking myself now for putting it in my tank. Really hoping those aiptasias didnt have a chance to spread to the tank.:banghead:

On a good note, They had a gorgeous tailspot blenny that I will be picking up on Tuesday. Yay! So excited!

Ok. That is my plan. Do you think the rest of the aglae that does not have aiptasia is ok to put in my fuge? I really dont want to introduce this pest to my tank (though it may be too late already, hoping not).

Right....just pull the visible ones out and don't worry about it. I have had a lot of aptasia in my sumps before and none in the DT. They don't seem to make the jump too often.
As for the LFS selling "infested" algae, did you expect them to go through it with a magnifying glass and make sure it's just plants and nothing else? If so, I imagine it would be 75 bucks a hand full and not 10.
I would not rinse the algae as you would be killing off pods and all sorts of other life, which most of us want in our systems.
Aptasia are only pests if you view them as such. If they were a little brighter in color and the tips bubbled, they would be selling them to you for 100 bucks a piece! That said, they are easy keep in check.

Back
Top Bottom