Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Made a mistake when doing a PWC today.

The syphon hose got too close to my frogspawn coral and damaged about 1/2 of one of the heads. Nothing actually got sucked up but I can tell that parts of it got torn pretty bad. Has anyone had this happen and it was fine? Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Both heads just split too!

3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:14 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Watch the coral for the next few days regularly for something called 'brown jelly' This is a bactera style infection that can spread quickly. If you find this syphon it out of the tank vs trying to blow it off the coral. Take the coral out of the tank and frag the affected parts. If you have not fragged a frogspawn before you need a chizel and hammer usually. It involves removing the entire skelital part of the infected head. If you have two heads hopefully if you do get the jelly you can frag the bad head to save the good head.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I second that advice. If you see the brown jelly...immediately frag the diseased portion.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes brown jelly can spread very quickly and demolish a entire colony. Good Luck
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
I have the coral in a nice area of flow so hopefully this will help. Thanks for the advise, wish me luck!

I will post an update in a week.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pwc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hammer | RO/di »