Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2004, 12:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

mag drive ???

my little giant pump died last night was wanting to replace it with a magdrive but after seeing that marinedepots states thats its not recommended to run these pumps inline for salt make me wonder !!! read thru the papers i got with the last mag 24 and nothing says that on there !!

sooooooooooo does anyone have thiers inline ?!?!? and if so does it get supper hot or anything ???

Old 01-14-2004, 12:49 PM   #2

It is just that they are only sealed with a puny o-ring and the front case cracks easy. I would be a little nervous trusting that as a external pump seal! What about a gen-x pump.

Old 01-14-2004, 12:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

hummm never seen that make of pump !! guessing you sell these ??? was looking at the quiet one pumps but wanted something that does at least 2000 gph !

it did say that the front casing isnt strong enough for a long pvc return without some type of support but mine wouldnt be set up that way !!!
Old 01-14-2004, 01:00 PM   #4

Thasts the problem Exactly! A mak V will only get you 1500 GPH. How about an iwaki MD-100 RLT its rated at 2000GPH. They are a little priey though at $364.99 but they are bullet proof!
Old 01-14-2004, 01:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

yea that a bit pricy for sure !!! but due to you selling these mabe ya can shedd some light on the pros/cons on buying such a expensive pump !! would it out last 2 mag drives ??? if not then not worth it in my mind but if it would with out a doubt then might re-think that and then hide money from the wife cause she would just loose it ya know !! she cries about a $130 pump !!! i thought the little giants were pricy but thought it was good pump till last night !! turned it off did water change and now nothing !! its not froze up but wont start !!
Old 01-14-2004, 01:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.captivereefs.com/captiver...p&brandID=mkp#

is this the pump your talkin about ?!?!?! this does 1500 and priced not to bad
Old 01-14-2004, 01:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hey greatest american hero!! I've had the best of luck with Little Giant pumps. Did you ever lubricate yours?
Lawnmower Blenny -(Lenny), Talbot's Damsel -(Dottie), Tomato Clown -(Ketchup)
Nameless fish include, Neon Blenny, Singapore Shrimp Goby, Yellow Tail Damsel, 1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimps, purple pseudochromis.
gfishguy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

well i did get it used so who knows what the guy did before me but yea i was oiling it !! mabe a bit more than needed but tried to keep up on it !! which is something id rather not deal with in the future ya know !!! also the open motor to me asks for probs if anything springs a leak the pump is screwed where a good closed one it wouldnt be an issue imo !!
Old 01-14-2004, 01:55 PM   #9

The Iwakis are one the best pumps on the market. THeir longevity is well known and build quality is top notch. They are extremely powerful and the RLT series are pressure rated for use on skimmers and such.

THe link is to a Gen-X Mak 5 pump. Yes these are very nice pumps as well and a little less in cost. They are a little less durable than an Iwaki but will last a long time as well. You would also get 6% off the price for being member of this board.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks i dont mind payin the price if it truelly is gonna last !! so do any of these need to be oiled monthly or any of that ?? are the sealed so if they get wet they wont rust or be ruined?? if so i might take the plung hehe when i place an order how ya gonna know i a member on the board ??

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com