mag drive ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scuba_steve

Aquarium Advice Addict
my little giant pump died last night was wanting to replace it with a magdrive but after seeing that marinedepots states thats its not recommended to run these pumps inline for salt make me wonder !!! read thru the papers i got with the last mag 24 and nothing says that on there !!

sooooooooooo does anyone have thiers inline ?!?!? and if so does it get supper hot or anything ???

It is just that they are only sealed with a puny o-ring and the front case cracks easy. I would be a little nervous trusting that as a external pump seal! What about a gen-x pump.

hummm never seen that make of pump !! guessing you sell these ??? was looking at the quiet one pumps but wanted something that does at least 2000 gph !

it did say that the front casing isnt strong enough for a long pvc return without some type of support but mine wouldnt be set up that way !!!

Thasts the problem Exactly! A mak V will only get you 1500 GPH. How about an iwaki MD-100 RLT its rated at 2000GPH. They are a little priey though at $364.99 but they are bullet proof!

yea that a bit pricy for sure !!! but due to you selling these mabe ya can shedd some light on the pros/cons on buying such a expensive pump !! would it out last 2 mag drives ??? if not then not worth it in my mind but if it would with out a doubt then might re-think that and then hide money from the wife cause she would just loose it ya know !! she cries about a $130 pump !!! i thought the little giants were pricy but thought it was good pump till last night !! turned it off did water change and now nothing !! its not froze up but wont start !!

well i did get it used so who knows what the guy did before me but yea i was oiling it !! mabe a bit more than needed but tried to keep up on it !! which is something id rather not deal with in the future ya know !!! also the open motor to me asks for probs if anything springs a leak the pump is screwed where a good closed one it wouldnt be an issue imo !!

The Iwakis are one the best pumps on the market. THeir longevity is well known and build quality is top notch. They are extremely powerful and the RLT series are pressure rated for use on skimmers and such.

THe link is to a Gen-X Mak 5 pump. Yes these are very nice pumps as well and a little less in cost. They are a little less durable than an Iwaki but will last a long time as well. You would also get 6% off the price for being member of this board.

thanks i dont mind payin the price if it truelly is gonna last !! so do any of these need to be oiled monthly or any of that ?? are the sealed so if they get wet they wont rust or be ruined?? if so i might take the plung hehe :) when i place an order how ya gonna know i a member on the board ??

enter coupon code AQUARIUMADVICE at checkout and your total will automatically be adjusted!I currently have 2 left. They are sealed and require no maintanence. The are very reliable and should last a long time. The number 1 pump killer is sand getting into unprefiltered pumps so i recomend prefiltering any pump you buy!

cool thanks for all your help and see if i can swindel the extra dough from the bitter half :)

I recall reading somewhere that Mags are prone to leak if run inline. I also read somewhere that a bead of sealant can be run between the pump body and impellor housing to fix this. I keep thinking automotive form a gasket was used, but that can't be right. Maybe aquarium silicone would work?

Since I'm running my Mag 24 in sump, my memory is a little vague on the fix.

Back
Top Bottom