Mag pump users..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a return pump (Mag 12) for my 100 gallon. Its been up and running now for 3 years. I have never cleaned it. I cleaned it between the 1st and 2nd year it was in use. However when I went from a 125 tank to the 100 now, I hard didnt think for the future and basically put all of the hard PVC in and now there is no disconnect without cutting and splicing the PVC...which is what I plan on doing soon.
However, when would you guys suggest I replace the Mag? Its 4 years old and running well. Still alot of push so do I wait until it goes out? Do I change it now?
Thanks!

Use it till it stops or starts declining in production, but it would be wise to always have a backup handy :)

A back up Mag 12 will run you $105 on bestnest.com with free shipping which is where I bought my Mag 9.5. Great prices and service and the pump shipped to my house in 2 days and came with the pre-filter.

IME they run forever and is the best pump I have owned. Still I clean them out once a year though.

Well I have a Mag 18 that has never been out of the box under my bed. Its a bit overkill for a 100 gallon tank but I will make it work. I have a LFS that said they will trade me a Mag 12 for my Mag 18 and call it even. I dont know if I want to do this or not.

fishman said:
Well I have a Mag 18 that has never been out of the box under my bed.
You'll get around 1300 GPH with a 4 foot head and if you plumb 3 or 4 outlets into the tank using Loc-Line you probably could get away without using any ph in the tank :D

As far as the "even" trade the price between the two online is only $20 so it might be worth it if you don't want to deal with the excess power of the Mag 18.

I have the mag 12 now running and have it running like on 2 different routes with 3 outlets. Funny you mention the P/H's as I did some adjusting the other day to one of my overflow boxes and was able to open the Mag 12 up all the way as I had it throttled down. Im thinking of pulling out maybe 2 of the 6 P/H's I have in the tank as the corals are whipping around now like crazy. I had the mag 12 only around 1/2 output. Now that its opened up I assume I have a lot of flow now that I didnt before. OR I can use the P/H's to address dead spots now.
Also right now I have 4ft head from the pump to the top of the outlet.

Back
Top Bottom