Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-13-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Magenta Dottyback

(Strawberry Gramma - Pseudochromis porphyreus).

Just wondering what anyone's thoughts are on these? I currently only have an Ocellaris clown in my tank, and I'm considering adding a Magenta Dottyback in a week or two. However, when I've seen them at my LFS, they've always seemed a bit menacing and aggressive, chasing the other fish around etc. My clown is great at the mo, he's out all the time, practically eats out of my hand. I don't want to put the dottyback in there and have him harass him.

Has anyone got any advice?

Also, I'd really like to keep my tank open-top as it is currently. I know that dottybacks can jump, but do all of them? Or would I be ok just monitoring it for a while and trying it without the lid?

Thanks.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

There should not be any issues between the clown and a dottyback. They generally don't harass other fish IME. However, if you have any ornamental inverts such as cleaner shrimp or small crabs they may be eaten- especially if introduced after the dottyback. That is what keeps me from housing one. I saw a strawberry d-back I had take out a cleaner shrimp right in front of me while feeding one day. They have fairly large K9 teeth in those tiny mouths. Otherwise they are very attractive and active fish.

Quote:
I know that dottybacks can jump, but do all of them? Or would I be ok just monitoring it for a while and trying it without the lid?
It's a definitely a risk. Fish that are startled are more likely to jump, so if you have people walking by the tank alot, etc it can increase the risk. HTH

Old 10-14-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I also dont see any reason why you cant have one. As Mike said there is always a chance on jumpers but I always suggest eggcrate if anything. Glass tops will lower your PH due to poor gas exchange.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Eggcrate is great....especially if you can find the black eggcrate, it doesn't reflect the light as much. Although I did have a fish get out even with the egg crate, he must have gotten out in the space where the skimmer was.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

My neon was a pretty mean fish. He kept the maroon clownfish in line. I took him out however because he did kill every single shrimp I had.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the help guys, you've started to put me off the fish though!

I currently have 4 small hermit crabs, 2 turbo snails, and soon a blood/fire shrimp.

If the dottyback may cause problems to these then I don't want one! Shall I just try it and keep an eye on him for a few days?

I saw one at my LFS today, and he was chasing some cardinals around, not nipping, just darting at them. He looked quite mean! But he was leaving all of the Ocellaris Clowns alone in the tank.

I reckon I'll try it and see how it goes, would you recommend putting the shrimp just before then? I was going to get both at the same time, so maybe put the shrimp in a few mins before the dottyback after acclimation?

Also, I really like the open-tank look, it's really clean/modern. And my lights are over-tank's, so if I was to put any sort of lid on it'd spoil the look.

Again, I'll monitor him if he goes in...I may get some sort of thin acrylic lid made up, with a few holes in for gas exchange and to let the heat out etc.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a cleaner shrimp w/ a strawberry d-back for a couple months before it was eaten. IMO I would not attempt to keep a d-back w/ a shrimp unless you have a very large tank- 100 gal or more w/ plenty of LR. Otherwise the two are going to run into each other often and IMO it's only a matter of time so to speak. A fire shrimp would be an expensive snack
Old 10-17-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT79
I had a cleaner shrimp w/ a strawberry d-back for a couple months before it was eaten. IMO I would not attempt to keep a d-back w/ a shrimp unless you have a very large tank- 100 gal or more w/ plenty of LR. Otherwise the two are going to run into each other often and IMO it's only a matter of time so to speak. A fire shrimp would be an expensive snack
Awww OK.

Does this apply to a Royal Gramma as well? It seems to be mainly the Magenta Dottyback that people say is aggressive etc.

I kept a Royal Gramma in my previous 35gal with a fireshrimp and 2 cleaners, and 10 hermits, and all were fine.

I may get a Royal Gramma instead of the Magenta then!
Old 10-17-2007, 07:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know the neon d-back is supposedly one of, if not the most, aggressive. The neon I kept, albeit shortly, would take out everything it could including a neon goby. I have no experience w/ royal grammas though sorry.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK mate no probs, its not a neon btw, it's a magenta/strawberry/pink one.

Royal Gramma it is though....I think :p I just love the bright pink color!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com