magnesium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason M

Aquarium Advice Freak
What does everyone use to dose it? I haven't been monitering it but for the past few weeks I have had a drop in calcium and alk levels and I believe its due to a low mag level.

Can you get a test kit? My calcium & alkalinity always drop but my mag stays pretty consistent. I use salifert tests for stuff like this, it;s very important so a good kit is a must. :)

I tweak mine a bit now and then with a mixture I made up. I only do 2 water changes per month and have a very high coral load, so I dose Kalkwasser and a bit of magnesium solution. Works for me.

I change water every week on the dot but I haven't been measuring my mag. Why are my calcium and alk levels wanting to drop. I don't see any precipitation. Is it possible that my corals are using it up. I am gojnf to get a test kit tomorrow the store today didn't have one so we will see. My alk will go from 9.3 to 7 in a week and my calciim will go from 420 to like 380 in the same time. Have u had this problem x or carey

Yep, the corals will eat up the elements and your levels will drop. I have more of an issue with alkalinity which I will dose every few days with soda ash i got from BRS. My calcium doesnt drop as quickly so water changes seem to work for that and my magnesium hardly every drops between water changes so i test for it but dont dose anything for it.

I looked at my heater today and saw some precipitation for the first time. All my coral are babies I have a lot but still they are a small. I would be surprised if they uses all those up I'm wondering if the trace elements are staying to a good level with just water changes

I don't add anything manually, and everything is growing just fine. I've also kept sps dominated tanks with just water changes.

Carey u have almost 17 000 posts in just over a year. Mr x has half that is four. Are u addicted to this forum? Seriously

I don't have much in the way of sps. Three acros one is great the other so so and the mille doesn't expand polyps much but is still growing. He used to be hairy basicaly. I can't get montipora to thrive in my tank for some reason. I love lps so my tank is dominated by them u know acans and the sort

Acans and other LPS do build massive skeletons that also require a lot of calcium. My point is that you can sustain a system with just water changes.

Yeah I believe that but it seems like I would have to change 30% plus a week at thus rate. I did a 20% yesterday and levels are all good. They begin to drop after three days. The acans I have are the biggest corals I have with maybe 20 plus heads on each. One us about five inches across on whatever its growing on. Looks like a rock but probably all skeleton

Are those swings in alk going to be a problem for the coral and I should try to straighten it out or what?

Back
Top Bottom