Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2002, 08:29 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

The anemone you are referring to is Heteractis magnifica, what you read is wrong, they are difficult to keep in captivity. I have owned one, they tend to suffer the same fate as the Sebae (Heteractis crispa), it just takes them longer. The advice offered by EMS503 was sound and that's why I did not jump in this thread, I would assume that is why Mark hasn't gotten involved as well. H. magnifica likes lots of waterflow and lot's of light. It is a wandering anemone and in my case, that is what finally did it in, it will search and search until it has just the right combo of flow and light. You probably have enough light, maybe enough flow, but is there that one spot in the tank that has exactly what the anemone is looking for? Maybe, but doubtful. I would not recommend this anemone, especially if you have corals or other anemones, cause as it roams your tank looking for the right spot, it will raise cane all over the tank. Thjis anemone also suffers the same collection problems as the H. crispa (although it is not as quick to bleach), they like a rocky substrate and when they are collected they tend to get rips and tears in their foot. This can often lead to infection that is not detectable until you wake up to a really big anemone fouling your tank.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 09:34 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Thats more like the reponce i was looking for. Very informative on the specific subject and to the point. Thank you kudos to you.

Old 11-04-2002, 11:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry misunderstood you. No offense taken. My error

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 11:44 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have had my H. maganifica for almost two years now. I guess I got lucky. He just gave me a scare recently. He decided to try spawning and he fouled the tank. After 6 days and a few water 25% water changes this are back to normal. When I got him from my LFS he was approx the size of an small orange. He has thrived and grown to about 15-16" in diameter. He only will accept shrimp. He sits directly under one of my 175w MHs about midway in the water column. I add Iodine and Iron twice a week along with my other supplements. He completely dominates the entire right side of my tank. Check out his pic in the recent "problem" post. The last pic of him does better justice. The first pics are from the spawning event. I'll post more of him here when I get back to my computer.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:01 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
i would appreciate that.
Old 11-06-2002, 03:31 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Let's see if I can get this right. I am no computer wiz and have been having trouble posting pics.
Old 11-06-2002, 03:35 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

How can I get the pics to be full size in the text area instead of like the previous post?
Old 11-06-2002, 04:04 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty
How can I get the pics to be full size in the text area instead of like the previous post?
For explanation see the following post.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=844

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 04:08 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Salty that is one very nice looking anenome. Great colors.

8O 8) 8O

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 12:51 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks Fishfreek. I wish I could say I was an expert with this guy, but I have to be honest, I think it was mostly luck. Now that time has passed it has gotten easier, but he still throws me for loops every now and then (the spawning event). Thanks for the link I will take notes.

Tags
anenome

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com