Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2002, 05:36 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
magnicafant anenome

i read they do well in captivity with good water flow and good lighting(such as my halide/pc setup). any personal experieces? agree or disagree?

Old 11-01-2002, 06:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Jacob Morgan Send a message via MSN to Jacob Morgan Send a message via Yahoo to Jacob Morgan
Anemones have a bad 'rep' . I have a condylactis which seems to be doing great. I researched alot on these AWSOME creatures before purchasing one.

Various anemones do well under various lighting conditions. My condy seems to be liking bout 5.2 wpg NO lights. Some carpets(i think) can live with less lighting.

Sebeas I recomend to stay AWAY from. They seem to not last in captivity unless you obtain a tan specimen from the LFS (rare) or it turns tan shortly after.

Also I recomend waitng a yr or so before getting one this allows your tank to mature adn you to research them hehe

I believe bubble tips are suppost to be easiest of the host anemoens to keep along with carpes.. not positive. If you truy want one do alot of research on them and most ppl will say not to get one as they can live centuries (almost imortal) in the ocean. Hobbyist are lucky to keep them alive a yr (tho once u hit a yr they seem to last very long time..(yrs)

Well I can't find the link but I gave Aaron one last night that had some info on them.. I wil try aand find it but i have to play at a football game tonight.

If anyone disagrees please let me know. I am not postive on all those types of anemoens and could be mistaken.

Jacob

Old 11-01-2002, 07:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would let your tank age at least year before putting an anenome in.
They definitely like flow they will seek there spot in the tank where they want to stay. I have kept a Seabae and a Pacific Anenome under 60 watts
of Triton bulbs and they did great, The pacific is now under a power compact 65 watt smart bulb, the seabae is now in my reef and was under 4 VHO's, 2 Actinic03 & 2 Aqua suns, I just placed a new lighting setup on my reef 2 65 PC's with 2 MH 175 watt that I am bringing up slowly.
As for the Seabae being hard to keep maybe I got lucky but mine is thriving and has been moved to the reef tank without a problem. The Seabae was white with purple tips and has stayed that way along. I have had it over 1 year now.

Hey Jacob sounds like you have a nice tank how about some pictures

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 12:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Jacob Morgan Send a message via MSN to Jacob Morgan Send a message via Yahoo to Jacob Morgan
haha I wish it wasn ice looking..

nice pic tho.. was your sebea tan in purchase? I have red that trhere nearly impossible to keep even public aquariums with godly lights can't... who knows but nice pic!

Jacob
Old 11-02-2002, 02:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

The Anenome was white at the time of purchase. It had turned tan a few
months later. Thought that might have had something to do with the 29 gal. tank it was in, This tank is awsome as FW but when we made it SW nothing lived for long, So the Anenome was moved to the 75 gal. reef and the 29 is now back to FW

Old 11-02-2002, 04:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

ahah well i congratulate you thats rare but its a awsome anemone. how long have you had it now?

Jacob
Old 11-03-2002, 12:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

We have had this Anenome for 1 year now. It may be luck or I just got a healthy one. Even though I have seen a few since this one that are doing just as well. With the same amount of time or more in reef tanks.
My Anenome's are fed three times a week (I know big argument wether to feed or not, But it is working for my 2 Anenome's. Thats all that matters ) I feed them Shrimp and silversides. I will have to post a picture of my Pacific Anenome tomorrow when the lights come on.
Raising Anenome's takes patients, clean water & research 8O

I did have an Atlantic Anenome but he tangled with the Pacific one day when no one was home and lost BIG TIME.

PS Jacob come on lets see your tank
Old 11-03-2002, 12:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry that last post by Responder 503 was actually from EMS503. I forgot to log on

Old 11-03-2002, 12:45 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

good deal.. Sebeas are the onesi was tlkain bout not lasting in captivity usually.. maybe my research is wrong.. every persons tank is different...

but I love to see some more pics of ure anemones

Jacob
Old 11-04-2002, 08:14 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Not trying to be smart, so dont take offence to this, but my question was, has anyone personally had a magnicifant anenome, not a magnicifant anenome of any type, but thee "magnicifant anenome" or a ritteri anenome(both are the same). I have 3 maxi jet 1000s and a maxi jet 1200 for water flow. Lighting is 4- 96 watt power compacts and 2- 250w metal halides.

Tags
anenome

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com