Magnum 350 Power Filter questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mculbert

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm pretty well a newbie at Salt. My son & I did this for his birthday.

My question is about a Magnum 350 Power filter. I bought an entire setup from a friend ($100) that included 2 - 55 gal, 2 - Whisper 60's and 1 - Magnum 350 Power filter.

1. Is the Magnum 350 considered a protein skimmer?

2. Do I have to have the Magnum above the water level on tank in order for it to work? I hooked it up once and although the pump was running and primed, I couldn't get it to pump any water to and from the tank. I had it sitting on the floor and my tank is on the lower level of a 2 level stand. (I'm running a fresh on the upper level, something I know a little more about)

Anyway, I'm running as follows:

55 Gal

10 lbs live rock

1 Yellow Tang

2 Clowns (Nemo Type)

1 Black & Gold Chromis

1 Scooter Blennie

1 - ?? Either a BiColor Pseudochromis or Royal Gramma Basslet
(It was supposed to be a Basslet, but it's way too aggressive for that, still cursing my lfs)

I'm running an undergravel filter and a Whisper 60 and have 2 powerheads in the tank.

:?

1) no its not a skimmer it a canister filter and not something ya want to use unless ya use it for carbon from time to time or pull out all media and use for extra water movement :)
2)no it should be below the water line !! the 2nd tank being so low is prob ya issue ! gonna have to get a syphon going thru it with out the pump on and then put the return line back in the tank and start it should work then :)

i would get more lr !! stop on fish ya overstocked with your current set up !! the undergravel filter is a big no no no !! will make your nitrates sky rocket !! and will cause other issues down the road !!

Back
Top Bottom