Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-06-2004, 02:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
magnum filter questions

I just upgraded to a 75 gallon and my hob aquaclear filter does not fit with the new canopy (my skimmer barely fits). I am looking for a filter to run carbon in and to do occasional water polishing when I blow the detritus off the rocks. I have no sump.

No experience with canister filters - are they easy to use? Do they leak easily? I will not run it continuously, so is it easy to set up and take down, or is it a hassle?

Is the Magnum the only canister filter that has the micron/water polishing filter? Can I run just carbon alone - without the foam sleeve over it?

Is there any real difference between the HOT magnum and the regular 350 magnum? I probably want the 350 because my canopy is not very compatible with things hanging on the back.

johnsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 05:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would run the canister all the time. If you have it set up and not running, the water inside can stagnate and pollute your tank when you turn it back on (I learned the hard way) Just be sure to keep it clean.

A lot of ripples make a wave
darb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 05:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can you run the filter with nothing in it - just for water flow? And how difficult/easy are they to take down and clean? thanks.
johnsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 08:55 PM   #4
What kind of skimmer do you have? Considering the cost of what the cansiter may cost, you might want to consider an upgrade on a better skimmer for a little more.

As far as the difference on the canisters, the HOT is a Hang On Tank or HOB and the 350 is a floor model with hoses.

Old 08-07-2004, 11:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to ambulocetus
I have run the magnum 350 on my small tank (30 gal) and a couple on a 125 gallon. They have been great, very very simple to install, possible get the quick connects just to make it a little easier to clean! They have a very simple design, the polisher removes HUGE amounts of gunk from the water column and they are reliable and silent!
However, as Steve points out, they are expensive and some say debateably unecessary piece of equipment when you use a high quality skimmer with a decent ratio of lr to water. --- I guess what i am saying is this; IF you are wanting to get a canister, then only go with the Magnums!
But that is just one man's opinion!
ambulocetus is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, magnum

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com