Maiden hair plant.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, any one knows whether does maiden hair plant help to reduce NO3? Any article regarding this plant? I checked liveaquaria.com, but they did'nt state whether they removes NO3 or not.

Chlorodesmis fastigiata is a good source for the removal many types of unwanted elements including NO3. It is a non caulerpa species and can also be used as a grazing food for herbavors. It likes high water flow and good lighting. Maidens hair like any other macro algae can also become a nuisance if it spreads too quickly so be sure it is used in a refugium and not the main display tank...

Cheers
Steve

Oh they are not poisonous when consumed? Why doctors from liveaquaria.com indicate at their website that they contain poison to prevent herbivore fishes from grazing/consuming? But after I placed the plants (around 1 week now), my NO3 level doesn't drop at all. I left my lights on 12 hours a day, so they should have enough time for photosynthesis.

mansiz said:
Oh they are not poisonous when consumed? Why doctors from liveaquaria.com indicate at their website that they contain poison to prevent herbivore fishes from grazing/consuming?
It contains a defense mechanism that makes it unpalatable to most animals. It won't actually kill them. Tangs will still graze on it to some extent.

But after I placed the plants (around 1 week now), my NO3 level doesn't drop at all. I left my lights on 12 hours a day, so they should have enough time for photosynthesis.
You will not see results that quickly as a rule. Only when the macro algae grows and is removed from the system will you see any possible reduction in nitrate from it. Is this in your main tank or a refugium?

Cheers
Steve

It is in my main tank. It looks quite nice for displaying, so I place it in the main instead of refugium.
Regarding after macro algae grows and removes: I had my algae grow and removes almost every day, I don't know why this happens, before going to work, the sand bed is clean, after work (I left the lights on when going to work), the sand bed is full of orange stuff, I think its algae, but tomorrow morning, again its gone, and after work its back again. Don't know whether does this plant really helps to reduce the NO3 in my tank.

The algea you are describing sounds more like diatoms. The main culprit will be the introduction of silicates, usually through the use of tap water or RO only water sources. In a tropical climate, silicates will be much more prevalent due to the higher temps. If you are able, try getting an RO/DI system with a Hi-S cartrige. That will help in reducing or eliminating it. The only way to be sure is test for the silicates.

If the RO/DI is unatainable, using a quality PO4 granular sponge will help alot.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom