Mail Order Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kraydune

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all I am new to reef aquariums and would like to get some opinions on live rock.

I have one local fish store that carries live rock which is from the gulf of mexico and they get $13.00 a pound for it. This seems a lot to pay for rock to me.

I live in north AL and have been looking at a few places in Florida that are advertising rock for $3 to $4 per pound and it would be 2 day shipping for me.

I would like to know if anyone has bought rock from any companies in FL and if so how was the rock.

Thanks for any comments and suggestions.

I buy mine locally becuase the price isn't too bad - $7/lb for Fiji or Marshall Island. $13 is too much. Most people here like liverocks.com but they aren't selling currently. I think that liveaquaria.com has a good selection and good prices.

God I thought My Live Rock around Illinois was bad I am paying Fiji 4.99/LB. If It's not on sale it is 5.99/LB.

www.tampabaysaltwater.com

Good rock. I live in cleveland oh and had it shipped air-air. meaning they put it on a plane bound for you airport, and you go to the carrier at the airport and pick it up. to me thats easiest, but I only live 4 miles from hopkins. if you arent close to a airport, you can still get it shipped to your door.

thats what mine looked like when i got it.

I've had liverock shipped from liverocks.com, sadly they are down due to the hurricanes. I've also had luck having it shipped from liveaquaria.com. Having it shipped isn't such a big deal but be prepared to cure it when it gets to you. There will be die off and you'll want to cure it in a separate area so your not having a huge ammonia spike in your tank. Unless you are gonna use this rock to cycle a tank.

That is an insane amount to pay for gulf rock. I can get it locally for 7-9 dollars a pound.

choas, where are you paying 4.99 lb for rock where about in illinois. i cant get it for less than 8.

using some hirocks.com base rock will defray the overall cost if you're willing to accept the way it looks for a few months.

Back
Top Bottom