Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2009, 01:46 AM   #11
Sliced Bread

I don't think I agree with them getting depleted at the same ratio... Rather I believe that I tailor each of the 2-parts individually. Meaning if I need xxml of Ca each day, Alk will have a different daily need. So even though it's a 2-part whatever, its 2 seperate things that get tweaked individually.

So like I said, I'm currently doing 70ml/day of Alk and it's not going up. If I test in the hours immediately following the dose, it is higher by 1.5dKh, reading at around 8.5 or so. But I'll bet you a frag tomorrow before I dose again it's down to 7 again.

If it keeps coming back down, there's no way I'll ever get it up to 'target' levels, irregardless of whether or not I'm able to maintain it if it ever did get there. I'm sure not going to go dump 200ml of alk into the tank in an attempt to get it up there. So, I really have no idea what to do.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:51 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Your within acceptable ranges so you could very well just leave well enough alone. I take it you are familiar with the 'Reef Chemistry Calculator' to help identify how much of what you'll need to raise by X amount?

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:55 AM   #13
Sliced Bread

Yes, I'm familiar. The generic one I've found online doesn't account for the BRS mixes, but BRS supplies a calc on their site that I've been using.

I agree, I'm within range, but I'm on the low end and was hoping the 2-part would help push me into the mid range.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:55 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was going to say the same as Innovator... granted, 7 isn't between the normal 8-12 that's normally recommended, but it's pretty darn close. Probably well within the accuracy range of our test kits. My tank comes in at 7 at the end of the day often. I'd like it to be higher, but I'm not seeing any issues or problems, so I just let it do what it wants to do. For my 46g, I'm dosing 20 ml of both A and B per day. Calcium stays at 410-ish and alkalinity hovers between 7 and 9 dkH.

If you're not seeing any issues, I wouldn't stress about it. Shoot... maybe get a different test kit and you'll get better numbers!
Old 07-04-2009, 02:39 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Guys can't neilanh dose twice a day until he gets to his target? IDK maybe 40-40 or something like that.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
As, I notice your thread build and with the amount of SPS and LPS in your tank I would believe that's the cause if it dropping down every night. But I would look at a couple different areas before dosing 70ml into your tank? Have you contacted BRS about there 2- part system maybe you have a Imbalance solution or maybe they did not mix there 2 part correctly? I don't know just a guess. I know a lot of folks that use Baking soda to raise there Alk and I heard that does a good job. Or you can try switching to a different brand. What are you Mag reading? I heard over time RC can get your mag level extremely high around 1500ppm I would check to see I heard if it to high it can cause you alk not to raise? But I could be wrong....
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #17
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH
When calcium carbonate precipitates, it uses up a fixed ratio of calcium and carbonate (1:1, or about 20 ppm of calcium for each 1 meq/L (2.8 dKH) of alkalinity). This ratio is the same as corals use to deposit their calcium carbonate skeletons. Abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate, like coral skeletal formation, can incorporate other ions, such as magnesium and strontium. That incorporation will reduce the above ratio from 20 ppm calcium for each 1 meq/L of alkalinity to a slightly lower value. Over the long term this process can deplete magnesium and strontium in an aquarium if only calcium and alkalinity are supplemented.

Quote:
So like I said, I'm currently doing 70ml/day of Alk and it's not going up.
I dose aprox 260ml of ca and alk per day....which means my corals are consuming aprox 18ppm ca and 1 meq/l alk per day.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #18
Sliced Bread

I've thought about contacting BRS to see what they say, but haven't yet done it yet.

Larry that's good info, thanks. Makes me less scared to know that you dose that much daily in your tank too. I just know all the warnings I've read say not to increase it by more than 1dKh per day to keep from causing a major pH shift (albeit temporary) and shocking everything, so that part has me nervous.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

-Conduct a partial water change
-If its still low after a day, use an aquarium buffer
- use a solution of calcium hydroxide or kalkwasser

Tags
alkalinity, level, maintain

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com