Majano Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smitty

Aquarium Advice Addict
Howdy,

Quick question. I have several Majano Anemones on one power head. This power head was out of water for over 24 hours and they still lived. I can't get to them because they pull back into the slots of the power head. Can I just boil this power head to kill them off? I don't want to leave the power head out of water for several days just to get them and I'm not sure what else to do.

There is another option which is to just let them soak in tap water but I figured boiling would work as long as it doesn't hurt the power head as well (Koralia power head).

Thanks!

You can stick it in a pail of water and vinegar. That will kill them and you can clean it at the same time. Yes boiling will work but you risk damaging the power head. If it was rocks no prob. I would try the pail of vinegar thing just turn it on once in the pail and it will clean itself

Thoughts on how long I should let it soak? There are at least 6-8 of these little buggers on there and I want to make sure they all die. /evil laugh

1:5 bleach to water. All it would take is like half an hour. Lol Bleach and water solves every problem. Or you could try a dip in H2O2. Just buy a big litre bottle and have the ph soak in there. It'll come out nice and clean and free of anything living. The upside with H2O2 is that you can put it right into the tank after the dipping. It's not dangerous.

Last edited:
Well, vinegar would be easy for sure. I can't imagine a liter bottle of hydrogen peroxide being cheap... wonder if they sell that much at a grocery store? I can always buy two if I need.

I do want to get it back into my tank as soon as possible. That is why I was looking to boil to begin with. I know with vinegar I could as well. Good to know about the H2O2 too.

Let it sit in vinegar. For a couple of hours. Doesn't need to be that long but why not. Rinse with water and put it back in tank. Your tank will be fine for a while with no power head

Taking a lighter to them for a second should kill them and not damage the powerhead

Well, I went with the H2O2 method. Let it soak for 30-45 minutes and then cleaned the entire power head with a tooth brush. It really needed a cleaning anyway and is all nice and shiny now!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Back
Top Bottom