majano anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sw-addict

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have several of them in my tank and they have doubled their population in about 1 week. So I have decided that I want to rid myself of them. If they were all on one small rock I would just let them be but they are on a 35# and 15# rocks that I want to keep. O.k. I'll get to the point does anybody know how to remove them alive? If not will injecting them be the best way to go? They are getting closer to my mushrooms thats most of the reason I want them gone. Thanks for the time folks.

I would assume that you could use the lemon juice method if you cant talk anyone in your area or the LFS to take them off your hands... Why dont the corals we all want reproduce this well???

There is a product called Joe's Juice that has worked very well for many on the aiptasia front, it may very well work for majanos. The problem with live removal is that if you leave even a little, it will grow back. Other than trying the Joes juice, I would inject them with white vinegar or lemon juice ;) Don't do too many at once.

My friend has a bi-color angel in her tank.......he keeps all the mojano anemones at bay by eating them......there are none in her main tank now....just in the sump. Don't know how big your tank is but that might be a solution for you.

Majano, IME, are much tougher than aiptasia. Mine were resistant to most methods including vinegar and kalkwasser, they would shrink and then return. At the same time though, they only reproduced when I was feeding heavy, and probably too heavy. They lived around several of my corals without ever causing a noticable problem (no evident stinging or polyp retraction by the corals). If this is the only reason why you want them gone I would not be that concerned....except that your tank seems to be making them proliferate.

The Joe's Juice website states that it is equally effective on both aips and majanos.

Thanks for the info reefobsessed and reefrunner69 I figured that was the answer I just wanted to hear it from someone else. Fishgeek I have other anemones as well and I think he would eat my good ones first. The tank is a 120g. Hoopsguru as I said in the begining I bought them so I was feeding them I only recently discovered what the were. They are taking over spots that I would like to put other corals someday and just want them out. I also have been advised to touch the stalk with an ice-cube making them release does this sound like it would work? By the way here are a few pics of the enemy.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=2347205
and
http://reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=2347980
sorry I posted here too but can't find thread.

Back
Top Bottom