Major ammonia issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RevDaniel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Everything in my tank was perfect until 3 weeks ago, all my levels were zero, and then I had a huge ammonia spike. I counted my critters and nothing was dead, so I did a water change. This only made the problem worse. The LFS is hospitalizing all my corral, anemone, and clowns until the ammonia is back at zero, however the ammonia will not drop the test is off the charts, turning a dark blue color. Water changes don't seem to help. Can anyone PLEASE tell me what is going on?

Maybe you have a defective test kit? Have you tested the ammonia multiple times? I would bring the tests to your lfs and ask them to compare and see if your ammonia is really that high. Good luck!

Well I tested water from another tank, and it checked out so it's not my test kit. I've been doing large water changes using ro/di water I bought at the lfs and keep in a 15 gallon drum, with no decrease in ammonia. (my levels are still off the charts, so dark green it's almost black) I got a wild hair tonight and decided to test the water from the drum, and to my surprise it had ammonia levels of 1ppm, and Phosphate levels of 0.5 Does anyone know how this could happen since the only thing in the drum is the water and salt? It's a plastic drum with a screw on cap that I keep closed unless i'm siphoning water out for a change. I really don't want to start over again, but that's what it's looking like i'm going to have to do.

Back
Top Bottom