Major disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

54seaweed

Macro Addict
did a water change today got things finished but I didn't hear the auto fill pump running , by the time I got everything shut down there must have been 30g of water in my living room . spent most of day sucking up water with my wet dry vac , was not a fun day at all , in the morn I need to go rent a carpet cleaner to get what ever I couldn't get with wet dry vac
on top of that it's snowing hard now in less than a hour we got over a inch and this is to go on till tomorrow nite they say anywhere from 8 to 12 inch by the time it's done , stupid ground hog was way off this year

Whoa! Sorry to hear that. Hope the water damage isn't too bad. We're having weather in the low 80's here some days, surprised to hear that it's still snowing by you.

Oh man, I've had this happen i was lucky for me it was only a 10g an 2 gallons top. Though I married the wet dry vac that I used it so much. Make sure you by a neutralizing agent as any missed water left with sour the carpet an that never smells good

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Whoa! Sorry to hear that. Hope the water damage isn't too bad. We're having weather in the low 80's here some days, surprised to hear that it's still snowing by you.

thats Colorado for ya looks like its turning into a blizzard:eek:

I forgot I was filling one of my brute cans.....
for 2 hours!:eek:
It was an all weekend carpet deep cleaning session.:dance:
My basement is finished(and so was I almost by the wife when she came home!):facepalm:
It came out real clean but there has to be a better way!:nono::whistle:

Use a float switch! A 5 dollar float switch will assure this will never happen again ;)
Thanks Doug!
My 2 ro barrels have floats ,
But I still use 2 more for tap on wheels that go from room to room.
They also have heaters and powerheads in them so I have to shut stuff off and turn it on anyways.I thought about quick connect fittings but would still have to turn water on/off.
I just easily get distracted with all the tanks and the sound of running water is not uncommon in the fishroom!:fish2:
I'm pretty sure if I was eliminated from a lot of the equations the errors would drastically be reduced.:facepalm:
Maybe some of the fun and stories to tell also!:cool:
We live we learn(hopefully).:nono:
This was 2 years ago and I haven't "completely" repeated the performance again,but I spill water almost everyday!:ROFLMAO:

Me too. Fortunately though, I don't have to wheel barrels around. I don't know how long I could stand doing that. Sink to RODI to barrels to tank is only 10-12 feet tops.
I also have a pressure switch in the system that shuts down the booster pump when the barrels are full, but the waste water will never stop running down the drain unless I manually shut it off.
Why not do the collecting in the barrels with float switches, then manually fill the moveable barrels while you are present?
It's funny you saying "the sound of running water is not uncommon in the fishroom!" but if you are like me, you kinda know the difference between the regular running water, and "something's wrong" running water...lol. At least I like to think i do ;)

It's funny you saying "the sound of running water is not uncommon in the fishroom!" but if you are like me, you kinda know the difference between the regular running water, and "something's wrong" running water...lol. At least I like to think i do ;)
It really does sound different ,but I have almost had a heart attack(real panic at least) a few times for no good cause!

I got say I feel for 54(obiviously)!
That being said this is one of the times we say "one day we will look back and laugh".
I took me 2 years to laugh and fear strikes deep in my heart still but I "fish on !" and at 50 years old what else could wrong?:hide:

If it helps, I have a decent recipe for ground hog chili...

Allison
Freshwater fish-head for more than 20 years now, but salt water newbie.

Me too. Fortunately though, I don't have to wheel barrels around. I don't know how long I could stand doing that. Sink to RODI to barrels to tank is only 10-12 feet tops.
I also have a pressure switch in the system that shuts down the booster pump when the barrels are full, but the waste water will never stop running down the drain unless I manually shut it off.
Why not do the collecting in the barrels with float switches, then manually fill the moveable barrels while you are present?

Your RO/DI should cut off the waste water when it senses back pressure on the output line. And yes, a simple float valve keeps the barrels from overflowing.

I have a float valve coming also a new pump that was under warranty because it overheated from which caused this head ach
now thats under control ,
went downstairs into the basement to find the sump pump that keeps the basement dry cut out think it did the same thing my sump did , now I got over a foot of water in the basement , I'm going to need to rent a dumpster to throw all the water logged boxes and junk , ins should cover it I hope

Your RO/DI should cut off the waste water when it senses back pressure on the output line. And yes, a simple float valve keeps the barrels from overflowing.

So, are you saying I have the pressure switch in the wrong place? Why didn't I think of that???? :banghead:

So, are you saying I have the pressure switch in the wrong place? Why didn't I think of that???? :banghead:

Not trying to be a know it all. But there is a valve switch that the main feed water goes thru on one side and the output runs thru the other side. Usually a little square white package with 4 connections. When there's back pressure on the output line, that closes the feed line and shuts off water to the RO unit. No waste water unless the unit is producing water. Make sure it's not in backwards.

That's the whole purpose of that valve. It must be inoperative.

I would even go look for a brs video on the valve.
I'm pretty sure there is some mention of it(not clear what) even with pump.
For the price I would try another and find out about use with pump.
I'm interested as I really should use pump(due to low pressure) but don't.

Back
Top Bottom