Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2004, 03:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Major Evaporation and Spewing Bubbles??!

I was wondering if the evaporation I was experiencing was normal. I have a sump and it seems that the water level falls below the water line the day after I put more water in.

Also, the pipe pumping water back into the tank seems to constantly be pumping out tiny bubbles? Is this caused by my pump?

In its great blue whales, hunted even to
between houses, an entire people was
dreaming of a less silent light.
BlueDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 03:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
do you have micro bubble baffles right before your pump? How old is it? Sometimes you ahve to allow time for everything in the sump to geta slime coating on it before the microbubbles stop.

Old 05-16-2004, 03:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

My whole tank setup is about 1 - 1.5 months old. I'm not sure what microbubble baffles are though....

Old 05-16-2004, 04:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

do you have a picture of the sump/
Old 05-16-2004, 04:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here is my sump - the picture was taken when I first setup the tank, so the water looks cloudy.

Old 05-17-2004, 02:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I can't say if your evaporation is "normal" or not...but I can say that I'm personally amazed by the amount of water that evaporates from my system every day.

If you don't have a leak...and the water level is dropping...that's evaporation and it is what it is. Replace daily with fresh RO water (only the water evaporates, not the salt.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I have the same thing going on right now in my tank and sump! 29gal reef with 20g sump. LR and DSB in sump with the turbofloter skimmer. The skimmer is releasing tons of micro-bubbles into the sump and then my Mag 5 is blasting them back up to my main tank.
Where my water dumps into the sump, is extremely turbulent. It is causing almost a gallon a day of evaporation. That is, I add a gallon of distilled to the sump everyday. I check the SG and it is about 1.025, sometimes it drops a little lower when I add a whole gallon, but not much.
I was curious if that was "normal" as well...sounds like it is!

I am interested in these microbubble baffles though! Never heard of them. Could someone please explain what they are, and where I can get some? Sounds like I could probably be getting some good use out of them!

Thanks
Old 05-17-2004, 03:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

see this is my sump. Notice to the left right before the pump there are three baffles. That is so the micro bubbles don't make it to your pump.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/download.php?id=6056
Old 05-17-2004, 03:32 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
How much water are you adding daily? You may just want to rase the overall water level in the sump some.

To find your max safe water level in the sump shut off your pump and wait for all the backsyphoning to stop. Then add more water to the sump till its about 1" below the lip of the sump. Now start up the pump and wait a few minutes for the water level to equilize in the sump. Then take a sharpie marker or tape or something and mark the water level and that is your max operating water level. Never fill the sump beyond that point. Then mark the min operating wter level to be just above the point where your pump starts to suck in air.

Keep your water level within those two marks on your sump and you will be ok.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 04:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to seehorse Send a message via Yahoo to seehorse
I have a 125 with a 35G sump and although i don't experience and micro-bubbles, i do need to add 2-2.5G fresh water daily...

Tags
bubble, bubbles

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com