Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Another question. What kind of clam?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
Another question. What kind of clam?
The worst kind possible for this situation...Crocea.
Wavepoint SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Should have gone with a well known brand...
Lesson learned,
Matt

Old 09-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

See if your LFS will take it in for the few days until the light gets there.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

mrg02d, calm down. It will be okay. Clams live through stormy conditions with little or no light for a few days at a time.
Is your light covered by a warranty? contact the person you bought the lights from and check with that person as to who would cover the repairs.
Electronic ballast don't have a very good track record ~3yrs is the average. The old type...Magnetic used to last on average 8-20yrs.
Your clam and corals should be Okay. The PC light should give some relief.
I have been on half strength lights for about a week now and I am sitting here waiting for the ups truck.
It will be Okay................
Old 09-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
mrg02d, calm down. It will be okay. Clams live through stormy conditions with little or no light for a few days at a time.
Is your light covered by a warranty? contact the person you bought the lights from and check with that person as to who would cover the repairs.
Electronic ballast don't have a very good track record ~3yrs is the average. The old type...Magnetic used to last on average 8-20yrs.
Your clam and corals should be Okay. The PC light should give some relief.
I have been on half strength lights for about a week now and I am sitting here waiting for the ups truck.
It will be Okay................
Hello,
I got the light on ebay and the seller doesnt have the original purchase information anymore. I will contact WavePoint and see if they will still honor their warantee so that I can have it fixed and sell it OR the Sundial later down the road. It looks like such a nicely built light! You ought to see one in person! I have no idea as to the Sundial's build quality, but I suspect less from it. Seems to me the ballast should NOT have gone out on this light if it was truely new to the seller...

Good to hear the clam has a chance!
Matt
Old 09-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oops, gotta go the UPS truck is here...I'm not kidding my parts are here....
You will be Okay.....
Old 09-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I ordered an extra ballast and new sockets to be a leg up on my lights. I read that the t-5 bulbs are great quality wise but for the money most of the fixtures suck. Don't feel bad it happens to us all. the main thing is not to panic, take a deep breath and say......I will never buy another coral again.....hahaha relax there is nothing you can do until your new lights come in. I would not be in a rush to get rid of the one you have now. It can be repaired and either will make a good backup.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:21 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
Where did you get your ballast from? I assume I could find another 4-24w ballast and it would work?

You really dont notice the difference that t5 light makes until you have to downgrade back to PC! Everything looks so drab and dreary now...

Thanks for the encouragement! I really was freaking out! I just hope the light doesnt take more than a week to get to me...
Matt
Old 09-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got my replacement ballast from the company below. Larry stated that he had a bad experience with this company but I have made three orders through them with no problems. Two were for ballast..That makes 100% bad ballast on mu coralvue fixture in less then two years...goes back to that quailty issue I told you about. Give them a call or email them and they should be able to help you.

1000Bulbs.com
2140 Merritt Dr.
Garland, TX 75041
Phone # (972) 288 - 2277
Fax # (972) 288 - 2257
Old 09-18-2009, 11:56 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good news, my new sundial came in today. I am a bit upset to see that it is not nearly as nice as the wavepoint, yet STILL cost me $200.00!

The wavepoint is sealed completely, and has a glass splash screen. The sundial has an acrylic (easy to scratch) screen that slides out. (Salt gets into the spaces).

I opened up the wavepoint to measure the ballast size. I am quite irritated to see that it is very long and thin. ALL of the nice replacement ballasts are way too big to fit in this thing.

I dont know much about ballasts, but I assume I need something that is meant to run 4-24W T5 bulbs? Doesnt seem to be much out there.

I emailed wavepoint since it seems they designed the light such that the buyer NEEDS wavepoint for support.

Any tips?

Does this idea sound idiotic?....I could drill a hole in the side of the fixture and mount a ballast on top of the thing. Run wires outside the fixture and right up to the top? It would look foolish, but should work? I actually could just use the current hole that the power cord goes into to route the lamp wires.

Now, how does the power rating go for bulbs? I dont want to overdo it. I found a ballast on ebay rated for over 400W that I will bid on. Will these tubes attempt to consume 400W? Will they self limit?

Matt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com