Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello
I won it for 81 bucks plus shipping. It is slightly used. Seller said he paid 200 I think.
It is meant for many types of bulbs with T5 being one of them. Its supposedly an IceCap 660 without the dimming feature. I hope it will work! Seems like a neato ballast!
Matt

Old 09-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
for some reason the ebay link doesnt work?
Here is the item number for all interested: 120468857035
Matt

Old 09-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #33
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

The endcaps were used with T12 VHO bulbs. I do not know if they can be adapted to fit smaller bulbs.
This is the URI A4 model, for VHO (very high output) florescent bulbs, but also works great on standard florescent bulbs and PC, T5HO bulbs. It will power up to 4 bulbs, up to 16 feet, up to 440 watts. The wiring diagram is printed on the ballast.
4 lamps/bulbs x 24", 36", 46.5" or 48"
3 lamps/bulbs x 24", 36", 46.5", 48" or 60"
2 lamps/bulbs x 24", 36", 46.5", 48", 60" or 72"

that is what they said, they kind of contradicted theirselves when they said they had it hooked up with t12 vho bulbs and didnt know if it would work with smaller bulbs, then said it worked great with t5ho...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

They might have been talking about the end caps for t-12 not fitting t-5's. By what you stated it will work with 4 24" but the ballast would have to be mounted remotely and not in the fixture itself.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:01 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
He was talking about the end caps not fitting the T5 bulbs. I dont mind, I am just using the ballast.

I talked to the seller and he said he only was using two 48in T12 bulbs. He has no idea how much power they were consuming or rated for because his local fish store put together his system. His LFS told him the ballast could handle more bulbs if he wanted, so I assume this ballast self adjusts. A quick look online shows T12 48in bulbs are rated for 110W. So thats 220W of total consumption. I guess it is possible the ballast was driving them to 440W, but it would seem otherwise.

I guess all in all, I just have to hook it up and see what happens! Good thing the fixture is built solid incase a bulb blows up!

Matt
Old 09-21-2009, 02:16 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

It should be okay. You just have to mount the ballast remotely...
Old 09-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
Got a response from IceCap.
They said this ballast will not work unless its the A4 "plus" or has the same wiring harness and wiring scheme as the IceCap 660. Im not sure what that means, and there doesnt seem to be an A4 Plus according to Google. This A4 is described as being good for T5, so I imagine the IceCap guy may not have given my question much thought before responding.

He did say it would overdrive the lamps to 40W each instead of 24W. I wonder if this would be okay? URI claims their t5 bulbs to be rated both 24W and 40W (40W when over driven by a VHO ballast).

Hmmm...
Matt
Old 09-21-2009, 04:06 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

"They said this ballast will not work unless its the A4 "plus" or has the same wiring harness and wiring scheme as the IceCap 660. Im not sure what that means, and there doesnt seem to be an A4 Plus according to Google. This A4 is described as being good for T5, so I imagine the IceCap guy may not have given my question much thought before responding."

"He did say it would overdrive the lamps to 40W each instead of 24W. I wonder if this would be okay? URI claims their t5 bulbs to be rated both 24W and 40W (40W when over driven by a VHO ballast)."

Redirect that question back to icecap and see what they say.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:06 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
So I got a response back from Icecap...
They think I DO have the right kind of ballast based on the type of wiring harness it comes with. They did confirm that the ballast would power my T5 bulbs as VHO instead of HO. They expect 40W per bulb instead of standard 24W per bulb. No details on whether or not that would be okay for the bulbs though.

So it looks like I will now have 160W instead of 96W. Im sure my crocea clam will be quite the happy clam, but my bulbs will likely heat up. Sadly, this wavepoint ballast doesnt use any fans for cooling. It appears the fixture is acting as a crude heatsink as everything is thermally connected. (metal reflectors with a heatsink on the back that is connected to the aluminum housing...

Anyone here with experience with over driven T5 bulbs?
Matt
Old 09-24-2009, 02:05 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

UPDATE:
Got the ballast and wired up everything. (What a task).
Got it pretty neat and tidy with the ballast sitting on top of the fixture and the wires going into the hole where the old power cord went.

It works!

MUCH brighter too! Seems to get warm pretty quickly. I will have to run it for some time and see how hot the thing gets. I wish there was an easy way to monitor the bulb temp. The whole thing is sealed completely when put together.

I plugged it into a digital watt meter and the whole thing is consuming around 180W so it does seem to have adjusted to what the IceCap rep said. (40W per bulb now).

I hope the bulbs dont get too hot. Theres no easy way to cool them! No way to get air circulation in this thing. I will keep some air moving near the fixture I guess.

So now I have 160W over a 20g tank. Could this be too much?

Matt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com