MAJOR Problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrg02d

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,
I have a major issue. My light wont turn on! It was on this AM and then just went out. I tried resetting the switch on it and all. Nothing. Its just sitting there with its power light on, but no main lights. Im guessing the ballast is the problem?
I dont know what to do! I have alot of coral in the tank including a Crocea clam.

Help!
Matt

Based on the assumption that you have already checked the buld and connections, the only reason why it would fail would be due to ballast failure. Whats your setup and what type of ballest is it?

Whats the age of the ballest? Let us know the brand so we know its reliability issues.

Hello,
Yes I checked the connections inside and all if it looks solid. The ballast is some kind of electronic ballast and its designed to run 4-24W T5 bulbs. The light is made by WavePoint Technology. 24in 4-24W T5 light.
As for the age, I am not sure. I bought it "new" on ebay. I have had it for about 1 month. It looked to be new. Perfect condition.

EDIT: I just ordered a Current USA Sundial. I hope it gets here in time for my corals sake! I am back to my old light which is just a 65W 50/50 PC bulb...Sheesh...What do you guys think? How long do I have to get some decent lighting back on the clam? I also have a hammer coral, and some brain corals along with various zoas and ricordeas.
Matt

Yo should try and concentrate the PC light directly over the clam if you can. You used to have 96watts over that 20G, and now you have 65watt. I'm not expert on lights, but i would concentrate the light on the coral/clams that need the most light exposure.

Lol, alrighty then, just concentrate the PC lights over the high light exposure coral. Guess your clam just caught a bad break. :/

If you have the lighting overtop of the corals then your hammer and brain corals should be OK. I`m still concerned about the clam unless it`s a squamosa clam.

Oh no...I dont want to hear that the clam will die! How long does my clam have to live? I ordered the new light just now. (96W total T5 lighting).
The clam is a crocea...Yea I know...Lotsa light. Ive had him under the T5 for some time now and it was doing well. Shouldnt it be alright (as in, it will limp along) for a few days under PC lights?
I have the clam about 9in away from the PC lights and the hammer coral about 10in away now.
Any hope?
Matt

mrg02d, calm down. It will be okay. Clams live through stormy conditions with little or no light for a few days at a time.
Is your light covered by a warranty? contact the person you bought the lights from and check with that person as to who would cover the repairs.
Electronic ballast don't have a very good track record ~3yrs is the average. The old type...Magnetic used to last on average 8-20yrs.
Your clam and corals should be Okay. The PC light should give some relief.
I have been on half strength lights for about a week now and I am sitting here waiting for the ups truck.
It will be Okay................

mrg02d, calm down. It will be okay. Clams live through stormy conditions with little or no light for a few days at a time.
Is your light covered by a warranty? contact the person you bought the lights from and check with that person as to who would cover the repairs.
Electronic ballast don't have a very good track record ~3yrs is the average. The old type...Magnetic used to last on average 8-20yrs.
Your clam and corals should be Okay. The PC light should give some relief.
I have been on half strength lights for about a week now and I am sitting here waiting for the ups truck.
It will be Okay................

Hello,
I got the light on ebay and the seller doesnt have the original purchase information anymore. I will contact WavePoint and see if they will still honor their warantee so that I can have it fixed and sell it OR the Sundial later down the road. It looks like such a nicely built light! You ought to see one in person! I have no idea as to the Sundial's build quality, but I suspect less from it. Seems to me the ballast should NOT have gone out on this light if it was truely new to the seller...

Good to hear the clam has a chance!
Matt

Oops, gotta go the UPS truck is here...I'm not kidding my parts are here....
You will be Okay.....

I ordered an extra ballast and new sockets to be a leg up on my lights. I read that the t-5 bulbs are great quality wise but for the money most of the fixtures suck. Don't feel bad it happens to us all. the main thing is not to panic, take a deep breath and say......I will never buy another coral again.....hahaha relax there is nothing you can do until your new lights come in. I would not be in a rush to get rid of the one you have now. It can be repaired and either will make a good backup.

Hello,
Where did you get your ballast from? I assume I could find another 4-24w ballast and it would work?

You really dont notice the difference that t5 light makes until you have to downgrade back to PC! Everything looks so drab and dreary now...

Thanks for the encouragement! I really was freaking out! I just hope the light doesnt take more than a week to get to me...
Matt

I got my replacement ballast from the company below. Larry stated that he had a bad experience with this company but I have made three orders through them with no problems. Two were for ballast..That makes 100% bad ballast on mu coralvue fixture in less then two years...goes back to that quailty issue I told you about. Give them a call or email them and they should be able to help you.

1000Bulbs.com​
2140 Merritt Dr.
Garland, TX 75041​
Phone # (972) 288 - 2277​
Fax # (972) 288 - 2257

Good news, my new sundial came in today. I am a bit upset to see that it is not nearly as nice as the wavepoint, yet STILL cost me $200.00!

The wavepoint is sealed completely, and has a glass splash screen. The sundial has an acrylic (easy to scratch) screen that slides out. (Salt gets into the spaces).

I opened up the wavepoint to measure the ballast size. I am quite irritated to see that it is very long and thin. ALL of the nice replacement ballasts are way too big to fit in this thing.:bowl:

I dont know much about ballasts, but I assume I need something that is meant to run 4-24W T5 bulbs? Doesnt seem to be much out there. :(

I emailed wavepoint since it seems they designed the light such that the buyer NEEDS wavepoint for support.

Any tips?

Does this idea sound idiotic?....I could drill a hole in the side of the fixture and mount a ballast on top of the thing. Run wires outside the fixture and right up to the top? It would look foolish, but should work? I actually could just use the current hole that the power cord goes into to route the lamp wires.

Now, how does the power rating go for bulbs? I dont want to overdo it. I found a ballast on ebay rated for over 400W that I will bid on. Will these tubes attempt to consume 400W? Will they self limit?

Matt

Back
Top Bottom