Make Saltwater fish freshwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, im thinking of doing a little experiment to make a saltwater fish live in fresh water. Ive heard that the salt actually is harder for the saltwater fish to breathe. So i was thinking of taking a cheap saltwater fish and putting it in a 10 gallon tank and slowly reduce the salinity of the water untill the salinity is 0. Anyone know anything about this?

thanks.

I dont think you will have much luck my friend...
good luck

Some marine fish can adapt to freshwater and vice versa. But i think its pretty much a one time deal. Of course you also have fish like Salmon and Perch which frequently visit both.
The experiment although interesting might be unfair to the fish lol.
Best of luck to you AND your fish.

Hate to say your going to kill your fish if you attempt it. If you want to do it for fun, use a molly. They are marine adaptable and freshwater adaptable.

I wouldn't put the fish through that. Like others said, there are some that can adapt. Why not try to raise a (i'm not sure here) green spotted puffer. When small, they are brackish and later in life they go salt (please correct me if I didn't get the correct name). I think that might be fun and it is natural...

Wow posts on this board keep getting crazier and crazier.

Yes their are some fish who live in fresh water and go out to sea and breed. Some salwater fish come bakc into freshwater to breed.

There is also eveidence that it is good for marine fish to experience not as salty marine water during QT becasue parasites can not with stand the treatment, but the fish can.

But this sounds like just trying to do this for the hell of it or because u have nothing better to do.
Anyway please dont do it. Send me the that would be wasted, so that i can buy a fish and treat t well.

If you wanted to take IE a clownfish and make it freshwater you'd probably have to keep the SG steady and reduce it about .0001 with each generation of clownfish. Maybe then they'll evolve to freshwater, but otherwise you're just going to kill your fish. BTW I've had mollys that acclimated from full salt to full fresh in about an hour.

Devilishturtles said:
Hate to say your going to kill your fish if you attempt it. If you want to do it for fun, use a molly. They are marine adaptable and freshwater adaptable.

Do this instead.... ive heard it works. don't try it with saltwater fish.

I have a saratoga Jardini that is supposed to be in a brackish environment that has never been near salt, but i know this isnt detrimental to the fish.

Back
Top Bottom