Making blender mush

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a bag of assorted raw frozen sea things. Shrimp, octopus, clams, I don't remember exactly what. (its all unseasoned, no added anything) Anyway, I decided to try and blend it all up, I added some nori also, and I fed a little bit of what was left over in the blender and it seemed really messy in the tank. Like a lot of it just blew around. Did I blend it up too much? Is it even ok to feed this stuff? If it is ok, can I throw in a chunk of the stuff frozen, or should I thaw it first?

Remember this stuff is pure food so a little bit goes a LONG way. For example I feed two tanks with a 1/2" square chunk thats been thawed and mixed in an 8oz cup of saltwater. Is the stuf totally liquified or are thre small chunks of fleshy stuff?

There are some small chunks, perhaps I should have strained it before I put it in the freezer.

no, do not strain it. Just make sure that you have blended it enough where the chunks are quite small. As was mentioned, a little goes a LONG way. Be sure to monitor your nitrate levels a little more often until you get a handle on feeding this stuff. They can skyrocket when overdoing the blender mush.

I plan on having coral, anemone, etc. later on but since I currently do not would it be better for me to chop it up really fine with a knife so I will not get the extremely small semi liquid that will just rot in my tank?

to be honest, if you dont have corals, I would stick to just regular fish foods, mysis, enriched brine, flake etc.

if you dont have corals, I would stick to just regular fish foods, mysis, enriched brine, flake etc

That is probably what I should do. I just wanted to give them something fresh. All I have is flakes at the moment, and they seem to enjoy the fresh fish. I guess I should save it for a treat type thing?

Don't forget the vitamins and fresh garlic.

When you talk about feeding garlic to the fish, is that a special garlic that you buy at the lfs or garlic that I buy at the supermarket??

Either or. If you feel more comfortable using LFS garlic additives then they will be fine. I have used pure galic juice that has been extracted from whole cloves. If your going to blend it all up I dont see any reason why you couldnt just drop a few whole cloves in the blender at the start aswell.

I just buy the cloves. Peel the skin off an throw it in the blender. If you can find a place to cut you a break on the fresh seafood, it is a lot cheaper than buyer LFS food. I had a guy once just throw a shrimp, cod and scallops into a small container and charge me the cheapest price per lb. Only happened once though :(

I always love going up and telling them I want 2 shrimp 3-4 scallops and a small piece of white fish. Get some weird looks sometimes.

I use the fresh whole garlic, marine zoe, shrimp, scallops, nori seaweed, romaine lettuce, and add a few crumbles of granular fish food. Blend it good adding tank water to thin it and freeze it flat in a plastic lid then break it into 4 X 4 chunks and put it into baggies.

Back
Top Bottom