Making Live Sand out of Old Castle Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awillemd1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been struggling for the past 2 years with hair algae. :cry: Due to much advice from this forum I have decided to convert my sump to a refugium. I found a link to a site which described a procedure on how to make live sand from sterile sand, but unfortunately I can't find the link anymore. At any rate I have followed their procedure and I have put a bag of my Old Castle Sand into a large cooler and added 10 gallons of my salt water mix. I added a small amount of my ground up flake fish food along with a few cups of water from my aquarium. The water turned a lot muddier looking than I expected. Furthermore, a dark ring of dirt has formed around the water line. Does anyone know if this is what I should have expected? Is all Old Castle sand Aragonite sand? It was marked play sand, but it didn't say that it was aragonite anywhere on the package. I have read on many posts on this forum that one shouldn't wash the sand because you don't want to remove any of the small particles, but I am going to have to decant this at some point.:?

Any advice on how to proceed would be most appreciated. :)

awillemd1

take a little of the sand out and let it dry. once it is dry pour some vinegar on it. If it bubbles/fizzes it is aragonite. If not it is silica. The water will clear up, shouldn't take too long in a refugium with limited flow.
You can also take a couple of pieces of live rock rubble from your main and stick it in with your sand in the refugium. Or get a cup of sand from your main or an established tank and place it in to seed it. Either way it will become live.

I actually did this before I purchased the sand. I think the guys at the hardware store thought I was a little crazy because I asked for a small amount of sand to test. It seemed to bubble quite a bit, but I am wondering now if this could have been just air emitting from the small particles. I remember the solution not being very clear and it was hard to see the bubbles. I will check it again and this time rinse the sand first so there isn't any confusion.

Thanks for the reply. :)

awillem1

don't add the sand to vinegar, you want the other way around. Take a small handful (DRY!), about a tablespoon is plenty. And put 4 or 5 drops of vinegar onto that small pile. It should "Fizz" and foam a little.

Also, no, not all Old Castle sand is argonite. They make many many different kinds of stone products. here's a link that shows you the difference; http://www.inlandreef.com/Testing/SandPhotos.html

My Old Castle Play Sand looks just like the silica to me, but I can't seem to upload the image to show you. :(

Willem

Attachments

• sand24h.jpg
    sand24h.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 239
wow hopw that was on super zoom over a miroscope hehehe i dont think i could get that kind of pic with my 6 mega pixel lolol

Back
Top Bottom