Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2013, 04:05 AM   #1
Ajm
Aquarium Advice Freak

Making overflow quieter

I have a built in center trapezoidal overflow and its like a mini waterfall in my room. I went to my lfs and he had a muffler to sell me for $25. I have a feeling there is an easier and cheaper way to muffle it. I have an idea of what I could do but want to hear from experienced hobbyists first!! Thank you!

Old 02-27-2013, 05:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Do you have a standpipe in the overflow or does water come crashing down 2 feet to the bulkhead?
If you have a standpipe and it still makes noise, I would try lowering a piece of airline tubing down the pipe. Move it up and down until you find the sweet spot, then tape it off somewhere so it doesn't fall in. That should quiet the flushing sound.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

I have a hang on overflow and spent the money on something called a Maggie muffler. Works well.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Do you have a standpipe in the overflow or does water come crashing down 2 feet to the bulkhead?
If you have a standpipe and it still makes noise, I would try lowering a piece of airline tubing down the pipe. Move it up and down until you find the sweet spot, then tape it off somewhere so it doesn't fall in. That should quiet the flushing sound.
Did something similar to this but with a bio ring (plastic, not ceramic) tied with fishing line. Had to adjust up and down to muffle the sound.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenzo9999 View Post
I have a hang on overflow and spent the money on something called a Maggie muffler. Works well.
I found the website for the Maggie Muffler but it only shows them for standpipes. I have the hang on overflow also and would love to silence mine a bit. Do you happen to have a link? Thanks. Sorry to hijack
Old 02-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
Ajm
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I don't have a standpipe, the water is crashing over into the bulkhead. Is a standpipe a pipe you screw into the bulkhead so that the waterline within the overflow is higher?? My lfs has the said "Maggie muffler" but I just want to make sure that's not the only option
Old 02-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmye4fish View Post

I found the website for the Maggie Muffler but it only shows them for standpipes. I have the hang on overflow also and would love to silence mine a bit. Do you happen to have a link? Thanks. Sorry to hijack
My overflow has a standpipe in it. So I just have the muffler from amazon.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think all built in overflows have standpipes in the bulkhead. U musta just missed that. they can still be noisy tho and there are various options to silence it. I have a 2 pipe drain so I don't have to worry about noise.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
Ajm
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
I think all built in overflows have standpipes in the bulkhead. U musta just missed that. they can still be noisy tho and there are various options to silence it. I have a 2 pipe drain so I don't have to worry about noise.
Nope mine overflows straight to the bulkhead.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Maybe a photo would help?

Tags
flow, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com