Making overflow quieter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ajm

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a built in center trapezoidal overflow and its like a mini waterfall in my room. I went to my lfs and he had a muffler to sell me for $25. I have a feeling there is an easier and cheaper way to muffle it. I have an idea of what I could do but want to hear from experienced hobbyists first!! Thank you!

Do you have a standpipe in the overflow or does water come crashing down 2 feet to the bulkhead?
If you have a standpipe and it still makes noise, I would try lowering a piece of airline tubing down the pipe. Move it up and down until you find the sweet spot, then tape it off somewhere so it doesn't fall in. That should quiet the flushing sound.

I have a hang on overflow and spent the money on something called a Maggie muffler. Works well.

Do you have a standpipe in the overflow or does water come crashing down 2 feet to the bulkhead?
If you have a standpipe and it still makes noise, I would try lowering a piece of airline tubing down the pipe. Move it up and down until you find the sweet spot, then tape it off somewhere so it doesn't fall in. That should quiet the flushing sound.

Did something similar to this but with a bio ring (plastic, not ceramic) tied with fishing line. Had to adjust up and down to muffle the sound.

I have a hang on overflow and spent the money on something called a Maggie muffler. Works well.

I found the website for the Maggie Muffler but it only shows them for standpipes. I have the hang on overflow also and would love to silence mine a bit. Do you happen to have a link? Thanks. Sorry to hijack

I don't have a standpipe, the water is crashing over into the bulkhead. Is a standpipe a pipe you screw into the bulkhead so that the waterline within the overflow is higher?? My lfs has the said "Maggie muffler" but I just want to make sure that's not the only option

I found the website for the Maggie Muffler but it only shows them for standpipes. I have the hang on overflow also and would love to silence mine a bit. Do you happen to have a link? Thanks. Sorry to hijack

My overflow has a standpipe in it. So I just have the muffler from amazon.

I think all built in overflows have standpipes in the bulkhead. U musta just missed that. they can still be noisy tho and there are various options to silence it. I have a 2 pipe drain so I don't have to worry about noise.

I think all built in overflows have standpipes in the bulkhead. U musta just missed that. they can still be noisy tho and there are various options to silence it. I have a 2 pipe drain so I don't have to worry about noise.

Nope mine overflows straight to the bulkhead.

I guess what I meant is there probably should be a standpipe in there. A simple pvc pipe cut to the right length. then add the silencer to it. Perhaps the silencer you're looking at has the pipe as well.

I have a hob overflow. You will have to either buy or build the standpipe. Depending on the size of the bulkhead that goes down to the sump. i have two utubes and two drains and mine was absolutely noisy without anything. I have tried several types of modifications and the one that works the best for me was a stockman standpipe. I tries the Hoffer Gurgle buster, durso and just a raised tube. The stockman worked the best for me. Look online for DIY for whatever you want to do. They are all fairly easy and you can pick up all the parts at Home Depot for cheap.

image-2468938756.jpg

That is a pic of my overflow.

Hope this helps.

I have a hob overflow. You will have to either buy or build the standpipe. Depending on the size of the bulkhead that goes down to the sump. i have two utubes and two drains and mine was absolutely noisy without anything. I have tried several types of modifications and the one that works the best for me was a stockman standpipe. I tries the Hoffer Gurgle buster, durso and just a raised tube. The stockman worked the best for me. Look online for DIY for whatever you want to do. They are all fairly easy and you can pick up all the parts at Home Depot for cheap.

That is a pic of my overflow.

Hope this helps.

That looks a lot like what I saw on YouTube ill go in and get all of the materials right now. Thank you it does help!

That looks a lot like what I saw on YouTube ill go in and get all of the materials right now. Thank you it does help!

Great, glad I could help. Make sure you get the correct size PVC that will fit into the bulkhead down below. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom