Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2013, 03:12 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok so for an overflow box how would the return sump work? Like connect the overflow box back to the sump?

For drilling where would I drill? How would that work? Idk if I should do that since everything is all settled and established already. I feel like it will be very hard since I have everything in it already

Old 03-17-2013, 03:23 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not all tanks can be drilled. If the tank says "do not drill" or some such thing then it's tempered and can't be drilled. Unfortunately that us usually on the bottom I believe. Or the back glass might have it.
As for the sump, if you make it so the display tank level leaves enough room for the entire return section of the tank to be added or pumped up, the there will NOT be an overflow in the event of a siphon loss. Conversely you have to have enough extra room room the sump for a power loss. In both cases catastrophe can easily be avoided with a tiny bit of planning. Not only should that not worry you, it should never ever be an issue.

A drilled tank is always the preference, but if that is not possible or you do not want to drain your tank and put everybody in temporary lodgings, then you can certainly use a hob overflow. Many members are doing that very effectively.

Good luck

Old 03-17-2013, 03:46 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
Not all tanks can be drilled. If the tank says "do not drill" or some such thing then it's tempered and can't be drilled. Unfortunately that us usually on the bottom I believe. Or the back glass might have it.
As for the sump, if you make it so the display tank level leaves enough room for the entire return section of the tank to be added or pumped up, the there will NOT be an overflow in the event of a siphon loss. Conversely you have to have enough extra room room the sump for a power loss. In both cases catastrophe can easily be avoided with a tiny bit of planning. Not only should that not worry you, it should never ever be an issue.

A drilled tank is always the preference, but if that is not possible or you do not want to drain your tank and put everybody in temporary lodgings, then you can certainly use a hob overflow. Many members are doing that very effectively.

Good luck
Tempered glass can be drilled just FYI.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:12 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

I made a double PVC overflow when I added a sump to my existing tank. If either side stops flowing for any reason the other half has the capacity to keep up with my return pump. It is certainly bulkier than a regular overflow box, but I have more confidence in it's ability to restart after a power outage. Now if I can just get over the algae bloom caused by the chaetomorpha dying, and get some coralline algae growing on it the thing will blend right in.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
The biggest reason I won't to use them is the fact that in order for the siphon to work properly then your return pump needs to match very closely. With a drilled tank they can usually handle much more water then you would ever need to drain so a flood is nearly impossible.
You can install an over sized return pump and with a ball valve at the supply side of the pump the flow can be regulated at any rate you want to match the maximum capacity of the overflow box. There are also pumps with a built in flow control. In case of a brown out the pump stops and the sump will reach its max level when the DT at minimum and in turn the overflow stops so no flooding will occur. The lifting pump is always there to provide siphon when needed. When power comes back everything will start running again. A high level control can also be added to stop pump and prevent any flooding. I have mine running for a year and never have any problem with it. I even have auto control to stop pump to sync with feeding timer. I can leave home the whole week with no worry. Although, I agree that drilling is much preferred but only if you want to start a new tank.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

make your own iv'e used these DYI over flow for the past 13 years and have never had a problem im using 1in. pipe and run 3 of these with a mag 5 return pump iv'e plugged 2 just to test and one can keep up with pump. i dont use the caps i cut slots in the pipe it's self You dont need them that deep in the tank. mine are 8in long. you can narrow things buy cutting the flanges down on the fittings.

HOW TO: DIY Aquarium Overflow - YouTube

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is what mine is based off, but it has two intakes that meet outside of the tank. I sized the pipe I used according to the flow I wanted, and then made a double overflow. From time to time it will get a little noisy when a bubble gets trapped in one side or the other, but they always work themselves out within an hour or so. I can also slide a coupler over the side that isn't making noise to stop its flow. That temporarily forces all of the flow through the other side and blows any bubbles out.

I have had it stopped for hours at a time while doing maintenance, and it always starts right back up.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a generator so power outages won't be a big problem here. So I just want to get this right I'm gonna have the sump connect to the overflow box then have a return pump going back to the sump?
Old 03-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Water View Post

Tempered glass can be drilled just FYI.
This must be new. Every time ive ever seen tempered try to be drilled it shatters.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cb24 View Post
I have a generator so power outages won't be a big problem here. So I just want to get this right I'm gonna have the sump connect to the overflow box then have a return pump going back to the sump?
The overflow box is mounted on the main tank. The outlet of the overflow box goes to the sump. Then the pump at the sump returns the water to the main tank to complete the circulation. Here is the link to help you build your own sump.
Build a sump. "How To" - Michigan Reefers

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com