Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimdim View Post

This must be new. Every time ive ever seen tempered try to be drilled it shatters.
It's not new its just very very difficult and using the right equipment is an absolute must.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
It's not new its just very very difficult and using the right equipment is an absolute must.
In short only professionals can be able to do it but still with risks involved.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Go to Melevs reef.com look up sumps. Properly designed it will never flood whether hob or drilled. I run a mag7 and eshopp 800 no problem adjusting flow and easy to set water level in dt.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cb24 View Post
I have a generator so power outages won't be a big problem here. So I just want to get this right I'm gonna have the sump connect to the overflow box then have a return pump going back to the sump?
That's how it works. As the return pump tries to overfill your display tank the overflow box drains it back down. Part of the benefit of this layout is the display tank will always have a constant water level even with evaporation. The only place that evaporation will be evident is in the pump return section of your sump. That is the area that you will have to watch closely, so you can top off with freshwater to make up for evaporation.

The whole thing can be set up so that if the power goes out there should be enough free space in your sump to accept what water will drain down before the siphon breaks and water stops flowing.

Most people also try to set the water level in their display tank such that if the overflow gets blocked for whatever reason there is enough empty space to hold the water that is in the pump return section of their sump. In an ideal world you would have a float switch to shut off your pump before this happens, but that is an added expense that many do not go with. Just be aware that if this does happen and the pump drains the return section while you are away it will most likely burn itself out.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
In short only professionals can be able to do it but still with risks involved.
I want to drain my 90 freshwater and re seal it as its coming on 35 years old. The. Drill the 3/8s glass with two 2 inch holes i was curious about the gl*******s.com 1500 overflow kit, and if itd be able to keep up with a 90 gallon
Old 03-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimdim View Post
I want to drain my 90 freshwater and re seal it as its coming on 35 years old. The. Drill the 3/8s glass with two 2 inch holes i was curious about the gl*******s.com 1500 overflow kit, and if itd be able to keep up with a 90 gallon
It depends on what kind of return flow you are using from your pump. They are saying they suggest a continuous flow of 500-1000 gph with that overflow. I have around 300 gph in my 29. With a 90 gallon tank I think I would probably want to push over 1000 gph, and would go with the 3000 instead.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just remember though that refugeum requires a slow flow to be effective. If your sump incorpates a fuge then your flow is limited to the size of your sump.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I dont want a fuge, the reason i was wondering is because the 3000 overflow is bigger and my 90 gallon is only 13 inches front to back, and that overflow box is like 3.5 inches. Maybe ill get 2 1500s
Old 03-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

By over sizing your overflow and pipes too much means less water percentage flowing to pipe and in turn creating more noise that air tube to muffle it will be worthless. The 3000 gal/min is about 3 times more than your 90 gal ideal required flow.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So your saying that the 1500 would be good for my 90?

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com