Making own sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya that's more then enough, you don't have to get all the required flow just from your return. That's what circulation pumps are for ;).

Awesome:) i might be getting a sump and some pumps from a guy thats interested in my 90 gallon, might ask for a few hundo on top as its a complete frwshwater setup right now. Then ill buy a new tank and be set :) if it doesnt sell within the week ill be purchasing my overflow kit on friday from glass holes

So for my 55 gallon tank would a 20 gallon tank be good enough for the sump? And also what would I need to get for it?

So for my 55 gallon tank would a 20 gallon tank be good enough for the sump? And also what would I need to get for it?
With all the information already mentioned in this thread and you still can not figure it out, I suggest you get someone knowledgeable in plumbing to install it for you. Just to summarize, here are the materials you need.

HOB overflow for 60 gal
PVC pipe with ball valve 1 inch (for overflow)
460 gal/hr submersible pump (sump)
PVC pipe 3/4 inch with ball valve (for sump return to DT)
PVC check valve 3/4 inch (installed at pump outlet to prevent back flow when pump is off)
3/4 inch Nozzle at return to DT

I understand the plumbing I was trying to get at in the sump. Like a skimmer is that all?

It can be as much or as little as you want it to be really. That's the pleasures of a sump, it has many different variations to best suit your tank. The standard though would just be a filter sock on the drain pipe, a skimmer in the first chamber followed by a bubble trap then your return chamber and return pump. This is why its best to go as big as you can that way you can start to add more as you go like reactors, ATOs, dosing pumps, etc.

So how many chambers is needed for a regular sump? Nothing over the top haha

Ya it's def going to be a project but I'm going to get started as soon as possible. I understand everything just not the return pump very much. Is everything connected to the overflow box?

Standard sump has three chambers. Intake, refugium, return

That's a sump/fuge. You don't have to have a fuge which makes it two chambers since a 10 gallon is small a fuge wouldn't even make a dent in the nutrient level really or leave room for equipment.

What are some good equipment for the sump?

Like what's a good return pump?

What's a good skimmer?

I think they're are too many options and too many different ways of set up to answer your question. If you provide a price range, or a specific list of products we can give you opinions, but just to ask what is good is like asking how a tv works when you just found out how to do multiplication

Anyone ever heard of an iwaki return pump? Its about 822gallons per hour at max 8.2ft

Even the makers of that overflow box recommend using a tank with a built in overflow. That has to say something. And the pump is only used to prime the syphon not to maintain it.

Yes the point of the pump is to prime the overflow, but you leave it running 24/7. So if power goes out, tank drains. Power goes on tank fills, and pump reprimes the overflown. The only way this wouldn't work is if you pump isnt running.

I use the CPR CS90 Never had a problem with it. During water changes all I do is unplug my return pump. The overflow is designed to hold water in the U Shaped chamber so it wont back suck and fill with air and if for any reason it does, the aqualifter pump is there to suck all the air out of the overflow.

Back
Top Bottom